A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
INSTOW, a parish in the hundred of FREMINGTON, county of DEVON, 4¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Bideford, containing 353 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £12. 17. 3½., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of C. W. Sibthorp, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The navigable river Torr runs on the north, and the Torridge on the west, of the parish. A trifling endowment Was given by John Tucker for teaching poor children.