[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"IPPLEPEN, a parish in the hundred of Haytor, county Devon, 3 miles S.W. of Newton Abbott, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Totnes. It is situated near the Plymouth railway, and contains the chapelry of Woodland. The village is considerable. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £480. Here was once a cell belonging to the priory of St. Peter de Fulgeriis, in Brittany. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £119, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The parish church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a commodious stone structure, with a tower containing six bells. In addition to the parish church there is a district church at Woodland, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £66, in the patronage of the inhabitants. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Baptists, also a National school for both sexes."
"WOODLAND, a chapelry in the parish of Ipplepen, hundred of Haytor, county Devon, 2 miles S.E. of Ashburton. The church was built in the reign of Henry VIII."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003