"JACOBSTOWE, a pleasant village, in the valley of the river Okement, 3½ miles S.E. of Hatherleigh, has in its parish 309 souls, and 2836 acres of land. Thomas Burton, Esq., of Yarmouth, is lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to the Wayford, Luxmore, Ash, and other families. The Church (St. James,) is a small neat fabric, with a tower and four bells. It has monuments belonging to the Oxendon and Burton families, and a handsome one, erected in 1849, to the memory of Lady Ellen Astley, wife of Lewis P. Madden, M.D., late of Clifton, Gloucestershire. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 4s. 4½d., and in 1831 at £201, is in the patronage of J.R. Vincent, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. John Vincent, M.A., who has 80 acres of glebe, and a neat residence. The tithes have been commuted for £174 per annum." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, in the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter.