"KELLY, a pleasant scattered parish, 5 miles E.S.E. of Launceston, has 258 inhabitants, and 1722 acres of land, nearly all the property of Arthur Kelly, Esq., whose family has held the manor and advowson from the time of Henry II., and has been seated since that early period at Kelly House, which was greatly enlarged and partly rebuilt about a century ago. It stands on a commanding eminence, in a richly wooded park, from which a road descends to a sylvan valley, where a rivulet supplies a small lake, and gushes over several rocky heights, in beautiful cascades. The Church (St. Mary,) is a handsome structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells. It was new roofed and repaired about six years ago, at the expense of the patron. Two of its windows are enriched with stained glass, and under a chapel at the east end is the vault of the ancient family of Kelly. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 8s. 9d., and in 1831 at £285, is in the patronage of A. Kelly, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. H.J. Morshead, who has a good residence, and 73A. 1R. 16P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1838, for £265 per annum. The School was built by Mr. Kelly, in 1842. The parish includes Meadwell hamlet. . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, in the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter.