"KENN, a parish in the hundred of Exminster, county Devon, 4 miles S.E. of Exeter, its post town, and 2½ from the Exminster railway station. It is situated on the river Kenn, under Haldon Hill, and on the Plymouth road. There are several barrows in which Roman coins, &c., have been found. The village is considerable. The lord of the manor holds his court at Kenneford, where a portreeve and two constables are sworn in. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £750. It gives name to a deanery in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £681. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing 6 bells. In the interior is a carved font, also several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £37 per annum. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship, and there is a Church of England school. Haldon House is situated in a park, and commands an extensive view of the surrounding scenery. The Woodlands and Bickham are residences within this parish."
"HALDON HILL, in the parish of Kenn, E. division of county Devon, 4 miles S.W. of Exeter. It is a sandstone ridge, where the Exeter races are held, about 800 feet above the sea-level, and extending in a S.E. direction for 7 miles. The surface is covered with loose flints, and there are several cairns. In the vicinity is Haldon House, built by the Chudleighs in 1735. It contains a good gallery of paintings, and some county MSS. In the grounds stands a statue of General Lawrence."
"PERRIDGE, a farm in the parish of Kenn, hundred of Exminster, county Devon, 4 miles W. by S. of Exeter."