"KENNERLEIGH (anciently Kynwarthlegh) is a small village and parish, seated on a pleasant declivity on the road from Crediton to South Molton, and skirted on the south by a tributary stream of the river Creedy, and is 6 miles north-by-west from Crediton station on the main line of the London and South Western railway, 13 north-west from Exeter and 196 from London, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Crediton, rural deanery of Cadbury, and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone, in the Later Perpendicular style . . . The register of baptisms dates from the year 1645; marriages, 1696; burials, 1663. The living is a rectory, net yearly income £90, including 53 acres of glebe, called Higher Minchindown (in the adjoining parish of Woolfardisworthy), with residence, in the gift of the twelve governors of the Crediton Church and Charity Trust, and held since 1894 by the Rev. Henry Seymour Fell. The Earl of Iddesleigh C.B. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Creedy Farm belongs to the Rev. Anthony Benn M.A. of Pudleston, Leominster. . . . The chief crops are wheat, oats, roots and pasturage. The area is 731 acres; rateable value, £589; the population in 1891 was 83." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Crediton Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Exeter.