[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"KENTISBEARE, a parish in the hundred of Hayridge, county Devon, 8½ miles S.E. of Honiton, 9 N.E. of Tiverton, and 3 E. of Cullompton, its railway station and post town. It is situated near the Great Western railway and river Culme. The sail is sandy. The village is considerable. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £409 10s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £486. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a tower. In the interior is a screen and roodloft, also several monuments and the brass of a man in armour. The parochial charities produce about £33 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The trustees of the late Earl of Egremont are lords of the manor."