From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
KENTISBURY, a scattered village, in a high situation, 9 miles N.N.E. of Barnstaple, and 3 miles E.S.E. of Combemartin, has in its parish 422 souls, and 3400 acres of land, rising in bold hills, and including the hamlet of Patehole. The manor, formerly belonging to the Wolfe, Randall, Richards, and Beavis families, is dismembered, and the parish now belongs to Earl Fortescue, the Misses Incledon, and several smaller freeholders. The Church is an ancient structure, with a massive tower and four bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12. 1Os. 7½d., and in 1831 at £303, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. C.B. Sweet, M.A., who has a handsome residence, and about 60A. of glebe. Three of the Richards family held the rectory successively, and the last held it 52 years, and rebuilt the Rectory House in 1761. For teaching poor children the schoolmaster has about £5 a year, out of Griffen's tenement, left by Mary Jones, in 1783.
Boyles John, beerseller
Burnell Robert, blacksmith
Comer Alexander, beerseller
Hill Thomas, blacksmith
Sweet Rev Chas. Broadleigh, M.A. rector; and Rev George, curate
Burgess Pp. || Crang Wm. John
Harding Chas. || Lerwell John
Richards Jas. || Richards Richard
Slocombe Richard || Tamlyn Wm.
Turner Richard || Tucker George
Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999