"KENTON, a parish in the hundred of Exminster, county Devon, 8 miles S.E. of Exeter, its post town, 5 N. of Dawlish, and 1½ from the Starcross railway station. It is situated at the junction of the rivers Ken and Exe, and contains the villages of Cofton and Starcross. It was formerly held by the Heles, Hungerfords, Monk, Duke of Albemarle, &c., and subsequently passed to the Courtenays of Bordenham. It was once a borough and market town, and is still a populous village, extending along the road from Exeter to Dawlish. About two-thirds of the land is arable, the remainder pasture. The surface' is hilly, and the soil rather light. Courts leet and baron are held annually by the lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £265, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The parish church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient redstone structure, with a pinnacled lofty tower containing six bells. In the interior are a carved pulpit and screen. In addition to the parish church there is a district church at Starcross, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £210, also a district church at Cofton, the living of which is a curacy The tithes have been commuted. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. The Wesleyans have places of worship. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Earl of Devon is lord of the manor."
"COFTON, a chapelry in the parish of Kenton, hundred of Exminster, in the county of Devon, 3 miles S.S.W. of Topsham, and 6 S. S. E. of Exeter. It is situated near the river Ken and the South Devon railway. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Exeter, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire."
"STARCROSS, a chapelry and small seaport in the parishes of Kenton and Dawlish, county Devon, 2 miles N.W. of Exmouth, its post town, and 5 S. of Topsham. It is a station on the South Devon railway. The village, which is spacious, is situated on the road to Teignmouth at the mouth of the river Exe, or Topsham harbour, opposite Exmouth. The inhabitants are principally engaged in the coasting trade. The village is much visited as a watering place. A little to the N. of it is Powderham Castle, and on an adjoining eminence is Belvidere tower, erected by the Earl of Devon in 1773, and commanding an extensive view of the channel and surrounding country. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £210, in the patronage of the Deans and Chapters of Exeter and Sarum alternately. The church was rebuilt in 1828. A chapel at Cofton, founded in the 14th century, was restored by the Earl of Devon in 1839. A fair is held on Whit Wednesday."