"KING'S NYMPTON is an old irregularly built village of thatched houses, on a bold eminence overlooking the Taw valley, 3½ miles N. by W. of Chulmleigh, and 5½ miles S.S.W. of South Molton. Its parish contains 777 inhabitants and 5539 acres of land, including many scattered houses, 91A. of orchards, 540A. of woods, and about 900A. of moor and coarse pasture land, which has been brought into cultivation during the last ten years. The manor was anciently part of the royal demesne, and was given by Henry III. to Roger de la Zouche. It afterwards passed successively to the Cornwall, Pollard, Northcote, and Buller families. It was purchased of the latter, about 12 years ago, by the present owner, James Tanner, Esq., of King's Nympton Park, a handsome and pleasant seat on the east bank of the river Mole. . . He owns the greater part of the parish, and has brought much of the moor land into fine cultivation. Mrs. Byne has a manor here, formerly belonging to the Brown and Melhuish families; and part of the parish belongs to several smaller owners. The Church (St. James,) is a fine ancient structure, with a tower, crowned by a tall wooden spire. . . . The rectory . . . is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. F.A. Savile, who has a thatched residence and 96A. 1R. 18P. of glebe. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.