Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Kings Nympton, from White 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KINGS NYMPTON

From

White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

Transcribed by Debbie Kennett

KING'S NYMPTON is an old irregularly built village of thatched houses, on a bold eminence overlooking the Taw valley, 3½ miles N. by W. of Chulmleigh, and 5½ miles S.S.W. of South Molton. Its parish contains 777 inhabitants and 5539 acres of land, including many scattered houses, 91A. of orchards, 540A. of woods, and about 900A. of moor and coarse pasture land, which has been brought into cultivation during the last ten years. The manor was anciently part of the royal demesne, and was given by Henry III. to Roger le Zouch. It afterwards passed successively to the Cornwall, Pollard, Northcote, and Buller families. It was purchased of the latter, about 12 years ago, by the present owner, James Tanner, Esq., of King's Nympton Park, a handsome and pleasant seat on the east bank of the small river Mole, near its confluence with the River Taw. The mansion stands on a commanding eminence, in a large and well-wooded park, and was built by the late James Buller, Esq., who died in 1765. The Park was enclosed and the original mansion erected in the reign of Henry VII, by Sir Lewis Pollard. The present owner has greatly improved the house and grounds, and built a new bridge over the Mole. He owns the greater part of the parish, and has brought much of the moor land into fine cultivation. Mrs. Byne has a manor here, formerly belonging to the Brown and Melhuish families; and part of the parish belongs to several smaller owners. The Church (St. James,) is a fine ancient structure, with a tower, crowned by a tall wooden spire, which was covered with lead in 1833, at the cost of £200. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £315, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. F. A. Savile, who has a thatched residence and 96A. 1R. 18P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £462. 19s. 10d. The Bible Christians have a small chapel here. The Charity School, for 40 boys and 20 girls, was long supported by the late John Buller, Esq., who endowed it with £500, three per cent. consols. The poor parishioners have the interest of £50 left by Richard Hele, in 1759, and of £25 left by various donors. They have also the dividends of £152. 7s 7d. three per cent stock, purchased with £100 left by Abraham Tossel, in 1773. A poor widow of this parish has 40s. a year from Mrs. Pyncombe's charity.

Adams John, vict., New Inn
Gumner Ann, shopkeeper
Laddy Wm. schoolr. & Peter, sexton
Moore James, miller Wampford
Passmore Richard, beerhouse
Savile Rev Fredk. A., Rectory
Tanner J. Esq., King's Nympton Prk.
Tolley James, tailor
Venn Eliz. vict., Carpenters' Arms

BLACKSMITHS.
Blake Thomas
Knight Wm.
Moore Edward
Simons John

BOOT & SHOEMRS.
Selley John
Selley Richard
Snell James

CARPENTERS.
Ayre Wm.
Hulland Wm.
Knight Wm. wgt.

COOPERS.
Baker Henry
Crawys James

FARMERS.
(* are Owners.)
Adams Wm.
* Buckingham A.
*Buckingham Rd., Callacott
*Buckingham Wm., Oakwell
Carter Thomas
Ching John
Darke John
Dart Francis
Dennis Thomas
Downe Elias
Follett George
Greenslade Ths.
Halse John
Hancock James
Hancock John
Hulland Samuel
Hunt Richard
Jarman John
* Kemp Jno. Bird Bull Marsh
Kemp Wm. Down
Lake Jno. Yeotn
Ley Geo., Pixey
Ley Wm., Hele
Luxton Richard
Mildon Henry
* Passmore John
Reed John
Saunders John
Shapland Cphr.
Shapland Jph.
* Skinnar Thos.
Webber John
Webber Samuel
POST, &c., from South Molton & Chulmleigh