"KINGSKERSWELL, or KING'S CARSWELL, is a pleasant scattered village, mostly on an acclivity, near the junction of the Torquay and South Devon Railways, 2½ miles S.S.E. of Newton Abbot, and 4 miles N.W. by W. of Torquay. Its parish contains 845 souls, and 1740 acres of fertile land, including the hamlets of North and South Whilborough, more than a mile south of the church. Henry Langford Brown, Esq., owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor. . . . The manor was held by the Crown at Domesday survey. It afterwards passed to the Droun, Fitz-Count, Courtenay, Smyth, and Langford families. The latter left it to the Browns in 1710. The Church (St. Mary,) stands in the valley, at the foot of the village, and is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . the Dean and Chapter of Exeter are appropriators of the rectorial tithes, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £105, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Mary Church, and incumbency of the Rev. Aaron Neck, B.A., who built a new parsonage house, about 11 years ago. . . . Here is a National School, chiefly supported by the incumbent, who clothes part of the children. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and in the Diocese of Exeter.