A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
KINGSWEAR, a parish in the hundred of HAYTOR, county of DEVON, 3¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Brixham, containing 328 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Brixham, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant. The church is dedicated to St. Thomas à Becket. Kingswear is situated on the eastern side of Dartmouth harbour, near the mouth of which are vestiges of a castle, and on the brow of a hill near the village are some remains of military earth-works. From Dartmouth castle opposite to the ruins of a fort here, a chain was formerly stretched to prevent ships entering the harbour: this fort was taken from Sir Henry Carew by General Fairfax, in January 1646.