A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
KNOWSTONE, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of MOLTON, county of DEVON, 8¼ miles (W.) from Bampton, comprising East and West Knowstone, and containing 444 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage with Holland, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £26. 10. 10., and in the patronage of Mr. Courtenay. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a plain Norman door.