A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
LAMERTON, a parish forming, with the parish of Sydenham-Damerel, a distinct portion of the hundred of LIFTON, being surrounded by that of Tavistock, county of DEVON, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Tavistock, containing 1069 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter rated in the king's books at £13. 2. 1.,and in the patronage of the Rev. H. H. Tremayne. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, formerly belonged to Tavistock abbey; it contains an interesting monument to Thomas Tremaine and his wife, with their eight sons and eight daughters. Collacombe, an old mansion built in the reign of Elizabeth, and since converted into a farm-house, has a large transome window containing three thousand two hundred panes of glass. Here is a charity school supported by subscription.