Hide

Landcross 1850

hide
Hide
                             LANDCROSSfrom White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire (1850)                   transcribed by Brian RandellLANDCROSS or LANCRASS, a small village and parish in the Torridge valley, 2½ miles S.S.E. of Bideford, has only 120 souls and about 500 acres of land, mostly belonging to the trustees of the late Lord Rolle, who are lords of the manor, and patrons of the rectory, value in K.B. at £5 4s. 9 ½d., and in 1831 at £84. The Rev. E. H. Furrington, B.A. is the incumbent, and has 9A. of glebe and a small residence. The Church (Holy Trinity,) is an ancient structure, with a wooden belfry. The celebrated General Monk was born here in l608. The FARMERS are John Abbott, Simon Crang, John Ford, Henry Guard, (miller,) and Wm. Partridge, Watertown.

Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999