[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"LANDKEY, a parish in the hundred of South Molton, county Devon, 2½ miles S.E. of Barnstaple, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Taw. The parish includes the hamlet of Hanaford, or Herford, where was formerly a chapel-of-ease. The inhabitants are chiefly agricultural. The soil is loamy, and subsoil limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy with that of Swimbridge annexed, in the diocese of Exeter, value £374, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing six bells. It contains a monument to one of the Acland family. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The parochial charities produce about £47 per annum, of which £5 goes to a school. The trustees of the late Lord Rolle and the Duke of Bedford are lords of the manor."
"HANAFORD, a village in the parish of Landkey, county Devon, 4 miles S.E. of Barnstaple."