Hide

Langtree 1850

hide
Hide
                             LANGTREEfrom White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire (1850)                   transcribed by Brian RandellLANGTREE is a considerable village, 3½ miles S.W. of Great Torrington, and has in its parish 911 souls, and 4028 acres of land, including the hamlets of Stowford and Week. The Trustees of the late Lord Rolle own most of the soil, and are lords of the manors of Langtree and Stowford, and patrons of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £29.1s. 3d., and in 1831 at £523. The Rev. John Guard, M.A., is the incumbent, and has 66A. of glebe, and a good residence. The tithes were commuted in 1838 for £470 per annum. The Church has a tower and five bells, and contains several neat monuments. There was anciently a chapel at Cross hill. The National School, built in 1840, is supported by the rector. The Church lands comprise 14A. and 5 houses, let for £35. The Church and Poor's Land (13A.) is let for £11, of which two-thirds belong to the poor, who have also 8A., left by Rt. Phipps in 1676, and the interest of £30, left by H. Futts and G. Gilbert.Bassett John, schoolmasterClements John, vict. Green DragonCleverdon Wm. vict. New InnGabell Mr || Dark Wm. clothes dlrGuard Rev John, M.A. RectoryOsborne James, corn millerPerdon John, corn millerSlade Capt. Adolphus, R.N Week HsBEER HOUSESKivell Wm.   Parnicott John BLACKSMITHS.Blight Wm.Blight Humph.Thorne Wm.BOOT & SHOE MKS.Call JamePalmer JohnCARPENTERS.Hadger Thos.Saunders Thos.Vanstone JohnFARMERS.Ackwill GeorgeAndrews JohnBarkwell IsaacBeer Wm.Bullivant Jas.Bullivant Saml.Bumberry JohnClements Saml.Copp JohnCopp Wm.Copp HenryHearn HenryJohns ThomasLey JamesMadge John Mallett Humph. Netherway Hy.Saunders Robt.Symons Thos.Tucker JohnVanstone JohnWard ThomasWhitelock Geo.Whitelock Rd.SHOPKEEPERS.Call JamesFord JohnThorne JohnTAILORS.Ford JohnLang Wm.Thorn John

Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999