[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"LEW TRENCHARD, a parish in the hundred of Lifton, county Devon, 9 miles N. of Tavistock, and 8 N.E. of Launceston. Okehampton is its post town. It is situated on a branch of the river Tamar, and includes the chief part of the small village of Lew Down, which is situated on the high road-between Launceston and Okehampton. There are quarries of slate and limestone. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £265. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone structure, with a small tower containing five bells. There is a National school. Edward Baring Gould, Esq., is lord of the manor."