A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
TORRINGTON (LITTLE), a parish in the hundred of SHEBBEAR, county of DEVON, 2 miles (S.) from Great Torrington, containing 505 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £14. 18. 11½., and in the patronage of Lord Rolle and others. At Toddiport, in this parish, separated from that of Great Torrington by a bridge over the Torridge, is an hospital, with a chapel attached, appropriated to the poor of both parishes.