Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
LUFFINCOTT. St. James. The church [plate 150] consists of chancel and nave with continuous roof, south porch, and west tower with three bells.
The bosses and ribs of the roof have some old carving. The east window is in memory of the Rev. F. Parker who was Rector of Luffincott for 45 years. A south window is in memory of the Lippincott family formerly of Luffincott, now of Philadelphia, America; another is in memory of the Spettigrew family of this parish. There are two old stones in the nave, one in memory of:- "Joseph Whitebourne Rector of this Parish, he was buried on the thirteenth day of June in the year of our Lord God 1701. Ætatis Suæ 21." Another dated May 9th 1587, is in memory of:- "Elizabeth Slater wife of John Slater, gent. and the daughter of Baldewyn Malet, Esq." There is third old stone carved with hour glass and death's head, but the inscription is almost obliterated. There is a tablet on the tower showing that it was rebuilt by Richard Sillifant, mason in 1791.
The rectory, which was supposed to be haunted, was abandoned and is now in a state of ruin.
The registers date: baptisms, 1659; marriages, 1654; burials, 1666.