"LUPPITT, or Luppit, is a village and a parish, on a bold range of hills, four miles N. by E. of Honiton. It has 782 souls, and 4730 acres of land, including Shapcombe tithing, the small hamlets of Beacon and Shaugh, and a common of more than 500 acres. The baronial family of Crew were formerly lords of the manor, and were seated till the 16th century at Mohun's Ottery, now a farm house in this parish. The Rev. Wm. Bernard, of Clatworthy, Somerset, is now lord of the manors of Luppitt and Mohun's Ottery, but a great part of the parish belongs to C.J. Helyar, Esq., the Revs. H. and H.W. Helyar, and a few smaller freeholders. The Church (St. Mary,) is in the style which prevailed in the 15th century, and has a tower and four bells. It contains some ancient monuments of the Carew family, and was appropriated to Newenham Abbey. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £13. 6s. 10½d., and in 1831 at £121, is in the patronage of the Rev. W. Bernard, and incumbency of the Rev. John S.C.L. Cabbell, who has held the living here since 1796. The Parsonage House is a small cottage, and the glebe is 5A. 22P. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Axminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.