"LYMPSTONE, a pretty village, with several large and handsome houses, is pleasantly seated on the eastern bank of the broad estuary of the river Exe, about 2 miles N. by W. of Exmouth, and 8 miles S.S.E. of Exeter. It has in its parish 999 inhabitants, and 1866 acres of land, including Sowden hamlet, and rising picturesquely from the principal street, which extends on a level near the estuary. [It is] a very considerable fishing station, having about 60 small fishing boats, and large beds of oysters in the estuary, brought there to fatten, from the sea coast near Exmouth. The village may be considered as a suburb of the watering place of Exmouth, and has any commodious lodgings, for the accommodation of visitors, who throng here during the proper season. The manor . . . passed from the late Lord Heathfield to Sir Thomas F.E. Drake, Bart., its present owner; but a great part of the parish belongs to Capt. Wright, Chas. Gifford, W.H. Hull, Wm. Spicer, W.H. Peters, and Thomas Porter, Esqrs., and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Mary,) is a fine old structure, with an embattled tower, and five bells. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £15. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £300, is in the patronage of Thomas Porter, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Edmond Strong, M.A. of Clist St. Mary. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter.