[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"LYMPSTONE, a parish in the hundred of East Budleigh, county Devon, 2½ miles N.W. of Exmouth, its post town, and 3 S.E. of Topsham. It is a station on the Exeter and Exmouth section of the London and South-Western railway. It lies on the eastern bank of the river Exe, and being near to and easy of access from Exmouth, is much frequented in the summer season by visitors, for whom the locality has every accommodation. The inhabitants for the most part are engaged in the oyster fishery. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £263. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £267. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with an embattled tower, and E. window of stained glass, and contains an altar-piece, the gift of a Mrs. Wyatt. The charities produce about £32, of which £8 are for the girls' free school. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school for boys. The rector, in virtue of his office, is lord of the manor. There are many good residences, the principal of which are Nutwell Court and Harefield House."
"MARLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Lympstone, hundred of East Budleigh, county Devon, 4 miles W. by S. of Sidmouth. The principal residence is Marley Lodge. The Lynham hounds meet here."