A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
LYMPSTON, a parish in the eastern division of the hundred of BUDLEIGH, county of DEVON, 2½ miles (N.) from Exmouth, containing 1020 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's hooks at £15. 13. 4., and in the patronage of T. Porter, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Unitarians. A small sum, the produce of several trifling bequests, is paid to two schoolmistresses for the instruction of children. This parish is situated on the eastern bank of the river Exe.