"MALBOROUGH is a small village, on an eminence, partly in West Alvington parish, about two miles from Salcombe Haven, and four miles S.S.W. of Kingsbridge. Its parish contains 1951 inhabitants, and 4890 acres of land, bounded on the south by the English channel, between Bolt head and Tail, and including the small hamlets of Coombe, Collaton, Rew, Bolbury, Batson, and Shadycombe; and the small town, sea-port, fishing station, and chapelry of SALCOMBE, which is pleasantly and picturesquely situated on the western side of the estuary, . . . Salcombe has now about 1500 inhabitants, though it had only 972 in 1841. [It has] three ship building yards, many good shops and neat houses, and several handsome marine villas. It is the out-port of Kingsbridge . . . . The imports are chiefly coal, culm, groceries, foreign fruit, &c.; . . . . The exports are corn, flour, malt, cider, potatoes, slate, &c. . . . The Earl of Devon, . . . is lord of the manors of Malborough, Salcombe, Ilton, East Sewer, Bolbury, Batson, Collaton-Prawle, Hope, &c.,, but part of the parish belongs to W.R. Ilbert, Esq., Miss Hawkins, A. Pinwell, Esq., Miss Burnell, Mr. Bastard, J. Netherton, Esq., Miss Spencer, and several smaller owners. . . . Malborough Church is a large ancient structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells, and crowned by a spire, which may be seen at a great distance. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Stanborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. According to Peskett, it was a chapelry of West Alvington; included Salcombe chapel of ease for which there are separate baptism registers from 1802, later a modern parish; also included West Portlemouth. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
The old parish of Malborough was the major settlement, with a small port on the Kingsbridge Estuary at Salcombe. That port grew into the now well-known town and holiday resort, leaving Malborough as just a small village on the road between Salcombe and Kingsbridge.