Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
MARIANSLEIGH. St. Mary. The church consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, separated from the nave by four arches, supported on columns with carved capitals, south porch, and west tower with five bells. There are three square-headed windows in the wall of the aisle, and a piscina at the east end, and in the east window of the aisle there are some remains of old glass. At the west end on the wall are the Royal arms, dated 1742. The arch of the west tower is unusually lofty and narrow, the bells were re-hung in 1894, when a new treble bell was added.
There is a very old Norman font [plate 156] The square bowl, which is larger than usual and remarkably shallow, is supported on a thick central shaft, and four smaller shafts at the corners.
The registers date: baptisms, 1736; marriages, 1757; burials, 1727.