[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"MARLDON, a parish in the hundred of Haytor, county Devon, 5 miles N.E. of Totnes, and 3 N.E. of Torquay. The village, which is small, is situated midway between Newton Abbott, Paington, and Torquay on the old turnpike road. The parish, which is situated in a long and well-wooded vale, contains the hamlet of Compton. The surface is undulating, and the soil fertile. Above half the land is in meadow and pasture, the remainder arable and woodland. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £215, and the vicarial for £235. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Paington, in the diocese of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing five bells. The church is said to have been built by the Gilberts, of whose family there are monuments; also of the De-la-Poles, Compton, Templars, Bishops, &c. There are several windows, on which are the arms of the Compton; also, a carved screen of great beauty. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. At the village of Compton in this parish are the ruins of a castle, which was once of great importance. In the Confessor's time it was in the possession of Osolf, and, in Henry VIII.'s time, belonged to Mauricede-la-Pole, from whom it passed to the Compton, thence to Sir Humphrey Gilbert, the great circumnavigator and mathematician. After remaining in this distinguished family for a long period, it finally became the property of Francis Garratt, Esq., of Parkfield House."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003