Hide
hide
Hide

MARTINHOE

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"MARTINHOE, a parish in the hundred of Sherwill, county Devon, 3 miles W. of Lynton, and 12 N.E. of Barnstaple. Parrcombe is its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the British channel, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £109. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is an ancient stone edifice, with a tower containing two bells. Sir R. G. Throckmorton is lord of the manor."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003