[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"MEAVY, a parish in the hundred of Roborough, county Devon, 7 miles S.E. of Tavistock, its post town, and 10 N. of Plymouth. The line of railway to Plymouth passes through the parish. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Mew. It is wholly agricultural, and extends along the riverbank. The soil is of a light nature, with a ferruginous subsoil. The surface is undulated. Nearly a third of the land is open and unproductive common, or coppice wood. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £220. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £210, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure, with a square embattled tower, containing six bells. The parochial charities consist of the interest of £300, bequeathed by the late Sir Ralph Lopes. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. The Baptists have a place of worship. Near the church is a cross of great antiquity. The ruins of an old seat of the Drake family, of which was the great admiral Sir Francis, are in this parish. Sir Massey Lopes, Bart., is lord of the manor. A fair for cattle and pleasure is held annually."