A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
MEAVY, a parish in the hundred of ROBOROUGH, county of Devon, 6¼ miles (S. E.) from Tavistock, containing 321 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £13. 5., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The village is situated on the river Mew, which winds through a valley of considerable beauty. Here are the remains of an old mansion, once the residence of the renowned Sir Francis Drake. Near the church is a hollow oak of very large dimensions, and adjoining it are the remains of a stone cross. The Plymouth railway passes through the parish.