From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

MEETH, near the confluence of the Torridge and Okement rivers, 3 miles N. by E. of Hatherleigh, is a scattered village and parish, containing 314 souls, and 2170 acres of land, in the manors of Meeth and Fryes Hele, the former of which belongs to R. Preston, Esq., and the latter to the Earl of Morley; but part of the soil belongs to the Acland, Mallett, Bowden, and Owen families. The Church (St. John,) is an ancient structure, with a tower, four bells, and a fine Saxon door-way. Among its monuments is a very handsome one, erected in 1818, in memory of the late Mrs. Lamb. The figures represent an angel ascending with the deceased. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 7s. 6d., and in 1831 at £250 is in the patronage of the Rev. F. D. Lempriere, and incumbency of the Rev. E. Lempriere, who has 25A. 8R. 27P. of glebe, and a good modern residence. Here is a National School. The poor have the interest of £5 given by one Madge, and of £100, left by Samuel Jerman in 1758, except 10s. for a sermon.

Beare Lawrence, machinist
Lempriere Rev. Edward, Rectory
Madge Mr Thomas Acland
Norman Mary, vict. New Inn
Vanstone Benj. carpenter, &c.
Vanstone John, carpenter, &c.
West Wm. saddler


(* are Owners.)
* Acland Hugh
* Bowden Saml.
Brook Mrs B.
Lock John
Madge Philip
Mallett John
Powlesland Geo.
Sleeman John
* Taunton Rd.
Ward Samuel
Weekes Saml.
Weekes Thos.
Wright Wm. (& maltster)

Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999