A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
MEMBURY, a parish in the hundred of AXMINSTER, county of DEVON, 3½ miles (N. N. W.) from Axminster, containing 837 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Axminster, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, contains a monument to the memory of Sir S. Calmady, who was mortally wounded at the siege of Ford House during the great civil war; likewise a monumental effigy of a lady. A cattle fair is held on the 10th of August. In the neighbourhood is an ancient encampment, formed by a single vallum, enclosing two acres.