"MESHAW, (or Meshett), a parish in the hundred of Witheridge, county Devon, 6 miles S.E. of South Molton, its post town, and 14 N.W. of Crediton. The village, which is small, is situated near the road leading from South Molton to Crediton. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £110. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £197. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a stone structure, with a tower containing four bells. It was rebuilt in 1838. The interior contains tombs of the Courtenays. There is a National school for both sexes. There is a place of worship for the Bible Christians. W. S. Preston, Esq., is lord of the manor.
"WHITESTONE, a hamlet in the parish of Meshaw, county Devon, 14 miles N.W. of Crediton."