Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Meshaw, from White 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

MESHAW

From

White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

Transcribed by Debbie Kennett

"MESHAW is a small village, at the foot of a declivity, nearly 6 mile S. by S.E. of South Molton, and 14 miles N.W. by W. of Tiverton. Its parish increased its population from 166 in 1831, to 305 in 1841, and comprises 1770A. 3R. 30P. of land, part of which (about 700A.) was an open moor 20 years ago, but is now enclosed and cultivated. It is a hilly district, over which a new road was cut about ten years ago. The manor was held by the Avenells, in the 13th and 14th centuries, and was afterwards in moieties. The greater share now belongs to Richard Preston, Esq., and the rest belongs to John Brown, Wm. Adams, Robert Eastmond, and a few smaller freeholders. The Church (St. John Baptist,) was mostly rebuilt in 1838, except the tower, which has four bells. It is a small structure, and contains a handsome monument to James Courtenay, who died in 1683, at Meshaw House, now occupied by a farmer. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 4s., and in 1831 at £206, in the patronage of the Rev. W. Karslake, and incumbency of the Rev. W.H. Karslake, B.A., who has a good residence, and 83A. 3R. 39P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1838, for £110 per annum. In the village is a National School, and on the Moor is a school and chapel belonging to the Bible Christians, built in 1839."

Boundy John, shopkeeper and clerk
Cockram Humphrey, thatcher
Cockram John, mason
Eastmond Robert, cornmiller, &c
Fewings Simon, tailor, Moor
Hooper John, wheelwright
Karslake Rev. Wm. Heberden, B.A., Rectory
Ley Wm., carpenter
Mayne Wm., vict. New Inn, Moor
Moore John, blacksmith
Pyke Fanny, schoolmistress
Poole Wm., shopkeeper
Rudd John, schoolmaster and shopr
Saunders Robert, vict. Gidley Arms

Boot & Shoemrs.

Garnsey Wm.
Joslin Robt., Moor
Saxton Robert

Farmers

Boundy George
Brown John
Buckingham Eliz.
Cockram George
Fewings John
Friend Samuel
Kemp John
Stoneman Robert
Ware Thomas
Webber Elizabth. South Hall
Webber John, Meshaw House