A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
MILTON-ABBOT, a parish in the hundred of TAVISTOCK, county of DEVON, 5¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Tavistock, containing 1151 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £19. 13. 6½., and in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford. The church is dedicated to St. Constantine. In this parish, which is watered by the river Tamar, is the Anglo-Swiss domain of the Duke of Bedford, distinguished for its beautitiful scenery and landscape gardening.