"MORCHARD (BISHOP'S,) a large village, 6 miles N.W. by N. of Crediton, has in its parish 7088 acres, and 1880 inhabitants, including many scattered houses and the small hamlets, &c., of Oldborough, Knightstone, Lowertown, Middlecott, Woodgate, Frost, Redhill, Leigh, and Woodlane. . . . J.H. Hippisley, Esq., is lord of the manor, which anciently belonged to the Bishops of Exeter, and afterwards passed to the Carew, Southcote, Boucher, and other families. Lady Churchill, J.C. Churchill, Esq., the Rev. C. Tucker, J. Sillifant, Esq., B.T. Radford, Esq., the Trustees of the late Rev. G. Gregory, and many smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Mary,) is a fine antique structure, with a painted east window, and a tower containing five bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £36, and in 1831 at £635, is in the incumbency of the Ven. John Bartholomew, M.A., who has 63A. 3R. 5P. of glebe, and a good residence, built about 60 years ago. J.H. Hippisley, Esq., is the patron, and the tithes were commuted in 1841, for £750 per annum. Here is a small Chapel used by the Independents and Wesleyans, and another belonging to the Bible Christians. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Also known as Morchard Episcopi. A parish in Crediton Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Exeter.