A Collection of Old Records
The Early Years
There is nothing written about Morchard Bishop prior to the colonisation of the district by the Saxons. From other documents relating to Devon we know that in Roman times the area was well populated by the Dumnonii, a Celtic tribe. By the seventh century the area had become much depopulated, whether by war, famine, pestilence or emigration to Brittany is not clear. The remaining Celts or Britons as I shall now call them were members of the Celtic Church having been converted to Christianity by missionaries from Brittany, Ireland and Wales. The Saxons arrived between 658, when a battle took place in Somerset, and 680 when it was known that there was a monastery in Exeter with an Anglo Saxon Abbot. It was at this monastery that St. Boniface of Crediton had his early schooling.
During the latter part of the 7th and the 8th centuries the Saxons expanded up the Creedy Valley from Crediton, taking over land abandoned by the Britons or pushing them out to the North and West. For a time the boundary between Saxon controlled areas and that controlled by the Britons was probably the River Taw and the Great Wood (Mor-cet). Some Britons remained under Saxon rule in small isolated pockets. There is evidence of a sizeable British population which remained in Exeter for many years.
The Sandford Charter
The earliest mention of Morchard Bishop that I could find, although not by name, was in a document written in the year 930. This was a diploma of King Athelstan, the grandson of King Alfred the Great, granting three hides of land (270-360 acres) to Eadulf, Bishop of Crediton and the clergy of the Minster. The grant was made in April 930 at Chippenham in Wiltshire in the presence of two archbishops, eleven bishops, 10 ealdormen and twenty thegns. The grant appears to be to the canons of Crediton as a source of provisions for their table.
The majority of the land granted was in what is now Sandford Parish although it included a small area of Morchard Bishop bounded by Oldborough Brook from Woodparks to the Highway at what is now Oldborough Quarry, then South along the Highway to Lil's Ford where it crosses the Spirelake. This triangular holding, or Tithing is referred to later as La Femme now Venn.
The Creedy-land Survey
The second document is a survey of the boundaries of Creedy-land, the bishop's Crediton estate. The document is undated but is believed to have been written after 976 and not later than the early years of the eleventh century. The survey shows that the area of Morchard Bishop South of a line along the River Dalch (the current parish boundary) then up the Willow Slade (Tatepath Lake) to eight oaks (on or near Beech Hill) then East along a brook to the Wolfhardisworthy boundary was all part of the bishop's estate.
Both of these documents are held in the Bodleian Library.
After The Norman Conquest
The Domesday Survey
The Domesday Survey, carried out in Devon between 1080 and 1083, on the orders of King William, was intended to show who held land, and what it was worth, before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066. At that time Morchard Bishop was not one manor as was the case in many areas but was held by three separate people.
That part of Morcet, as it was called, described above as being part of Creedy-land was mainly still part of the Bishop's Manor of Crediton and remained so after the conquest. This part of Morchard was lumped in together with the rest of the Manor of Crediton and it is not possible sort out what was the Morchard element of the manor. However the Geld Inquest of 1084 shows that in the case of Chenutdestana (Knightstone), Algar, who was probably a monk of St. Peter's in Exeter, held of the Bishop one virgate (30 acres) of land, sufficient for three ploughs. Algar had one plough and so had the villagers. Also at Knightstone, Alsfilla held half a virgate (15 acres) of land of the Bishop and she had half a plough. Presumably she shared the plough with someone else in the area. Alsfilla was probably a nun and like Algar held the land as alms from the Bishop.
One part of the Bishop's manor in Morchard had been alienated prior to 1066 and is dealt with as a separate entity in the survey. This was Shobrooke, or Schipebroc in the survey, and was held by Britric, a free man before 1066, given to Walter of Claville after the conquest. Walter paid tax on one virgate (30 acres) of land, cultivating one furlong (7½ acres) himself (through his steward). The remaining three furlongs were farmed by four villagers and five smallholders; they had two ploughs between them. In addition to the cultivated land there was one acre of meadows and six acres of pasture. The value of the holding was ten shillings per year.
The third and remaining part of Morchard was held by King William and run on his behalf by his steward. Prior to 1066 it had been held by Britric and later by Queen Matilda. Whether this was the same Britric that held Shobrooke is not clear as there were several Britrics in the survey. Before 1066 it paid tax for half a Hide (60 acres). There was sufficient cultivated land for eight ploughs. The Lord of the Manor (the King) kept one virgate (30 acres) of land for himself together with two ploughs and two slaves. The remaining 30 acres was cultivated by eight villagers with three ploughs. In addition there were two acres of meadow and 40 acres of woodland with five cattle and 40 sheep. The annual value of the manor was £4.
Reading between the Lines
In the years after the conquest the Bishop's part of the present Morchard Bishop consisted of the five tithings of Rolueston (Rolstone), Southcote (Southcott), Rigge Arundel (Rudge), Cnizteston (Knightstone) and La Femme (Venn). These were ecclesiastical holdings and part of the hundred of Crediton. Each of these holdings would have consisted of one or more main tenants plus a number of smallholders making up what we would now call a hamlet. Knightstone was held of the Bishop for ¼ of a knight's fee and Venn for 1/8 of a knight's fee. For a period Rolstone was transferred from Crediton Hundred to Witheridge Hundred and held of the Bishop initially by Egidius (Giles) de Fishacre and by 1268 held by Martin de Fishacre for 1/5 of a knight's fee.
The Manor of Morcet was a secular holding and part of the hundred of North Tawton as was the tithing of Shobrooke. In the Geld Inquest of 1084 the Manor of Morcet is shown as being held by Queen Matilda, on her death the manor reverted to the King. It was purchased by the Bishop of Exeter in 1165 as a secular holding, paying 100 marcs for his plea of right. Sometime later the manor appears to have been transferred to the Crediton hundred.
At this time it is doubtful whether the village of Morchard existed as it lay outside the manor and was not adjacent to any of the tithings. The one building that would probably have existed close to its present location is the church or oratory. It is located centrally, between the five tithings and the Manor. The church would probably have been built of stone with a thatched roof. Associated with the church would have been a house for the priest and a cottage for the family who worked the priest's land.
The 13th to 16th Centuries
Lay Subsidy Rolls
By the end of the thirteenth century, land was no longer the only indicator of a person's wealth; movable goods were becoming an important taxable asset. The Lay Subsidy, a tax on land and property was introduced. Certain people were exempt, the poor and clerical property, the latter being assessed and collected as the Clerical Subsidy. The tax collected was at a rate of a tenth, twelfth, fifteenth or a twentieth depending upon the needs of the Crown.
The first of the Rolls which records the taxes collected in Devon is that of 1332. It was listed by the Hundred, a grouping of Manors or Parishes for judicial and defence purposes. By this time the whole of Morchard Bishop now appears as part of Crediton Hundred (Criditon in the original document). In 1332 surnames were in general use in most parts of England but in the more conservative parts of rural Devon individuals were still known by where they lived or by their occupation. This is fortunate for us because it gives an indication of the comparative value of individual holdings. There was at this time no standardised spellings, each scribe spelled words as they sounded to him or her.
The total tax paid by Crediton Hundred in 1332, as assessed by John de Posbiri (Posbury) and John Dyra was £11-9s-8d (£11-48p). The individuals listed in Appendix 1 have been identified as living in the parish and shows the tax they paid for their property. The sum that can be identified as coming from Morchard Bishop amounts to about one tenth of that paid by the whole Hundred.
The total tax paid by Crediton Hundred in 1332, as assessed by John de Posbiri (Posbury) and John Dyra was £11-9s-8d (£11-48p). The individuals listed in Appendix1 have been identified as living in the parish and shows the tax they paid for their property. The sum that can be identified as coming from Morchard Bishop amounts to about one tenth of that paid by the whole Hundred.
The Tax Roll for 1524 gives a more accurate picture of the parish. The Roll itself is listed by parishes with the names of the heads of families paying tax. The Roll is headed Morchard Epi, abbreviated from Morchard Episcopi, and contains 99 names paying a total tax of £17-2s-6d (£17-12p). From this we get an indication of the relative wealth of the parish:
|Newton St. Cyres||paid £17-3s-6d||(£17-18p) for 104 names;|
|Kennerleigh||paid £2-15s-8d||(£2-78p) for 10 names|
|Colebrooke||paid £44-19s-10d||(£44-99p) for 67 names.|
By this time the use of surnames had been universally adopted, even in the remoter rural areas. Names appear which we will see repeated throughout the later history of the Morchard Bishop even though the spelling may vary considerably.
The next roll is only twenty years later, 1544. There are only minor changes in this period; some names are lost, new ones appearing. The taxable income of William Brounscombe has dropped from £30 in 1524 to £4 in 1544. Has he come down in the world or did he retire from work? Thomas Pope however increased his worth from £6 a year to £12 a year over the same period. Did Thomas Pope have a son? A new name appears on the roll, Richard Pope worth £2 a year.
The roll for 1581 is of interest in that it shows a change in wealth relative to Colebrooke and Newton St. Cyres:
|Morchard Bishop||paid £7-1s-0d||(£7-5p)|
|Newton St. Cyres||paid £6-17s-4d||(£6-87p)|
The reduction in Colebrooke's tax bill appears to be due to the loss of the contribution by John Copleston Esq. who paid more than the rest of his parish put together. The full list of the of the tax payers for 1524 is given at Appendix 2.
The 17th Century
Muster Certificates (or Rolls)
A muster certificate is an account of those who presented themselves, with their accoutrements; at a parade to show the county authorities who and what arms were available in each Hundred for the purposes of defence. To the musters came all men between the ages of 16 and 60 together with the arms and armour prescribed for them.
The frequency of the musters varied with the perceived danger and varied from once every three years to twice a year. The muster usually covered two days with an interval between them. The deputy lieutenant or a Justice of the Peace presided, with a clerk to note the results. At the end of the first day the men were given a day's pay. On the second day absentees were liable to a fine of forty shillings (£2) or ten days in prison. Additional arms and armour had to be provided by the wealthier residents and the parish vestries.
The Muster certificate for Morchard Bishop for 1569 in the reign of Elizabeth I is reproduced at Appendix 3.
The Church Rate 1600
From time to time a church rate was levied on all members of the parish who held property, freehold or leasehold. The purpose of the rate was to raise money for the maintenance of the church. Details of the rate levied on the 12th of January 1600 has survived and a transcript of the document is at Appendix 4. The document is of considerable interest because, unlike the Lay Subsidy Rolls, it links names with the property they occupied. I have added what I believe to be the modern names where I have been able to identify them
A Survey of the Church Lands - 1613
Morchard Episcopi 25 June 1613. Terrier.
Sir Edwarde Seymour Knight, and Barronnett, Cheiffe Patron. Roger Beare, pson, & Rector & preacher of the word, Instituted & Inducted in the said Rectorye, at the age of 28 yeares, or neare theare aboute, and that Mr Meane hath the next advowson, as it is reported.
The Gleebland conteyneth in quantitie twelve acres of land and meadowe, or neare there aboute, bounded on the north syde againste the woode called Heiwoode, on the easte syde bounded againste a peice of ground called the Woode pke lane, on the south side bounded againste the street called the Towne streete, and on the weste side bounded againste the greene, otherwise called Morchard greene, with a certayne manour of lande, belonginge to the sayd psonage, with eight Coppie holdes, Tenements, belonginge to the same, the rent thereof amountinge to the value of Three pounds tenn shillinge and eight pence by the yeare, being fower score acres of land and meadowe or neare there aboute belonginge to the saied tenements.
Alsoe nyne Cottages belonginge to the same manour. The yearelye rente of the sayed cottages is eighte shillings. And also one Farthinge and Clawe of land called Halfeholte, Conteyninge Fortye acres be yt more or lesse.
Holden at will of the foresaied Sir Edwarde Seymour, knyghte and Barronnett, by the yearelye rente of Three shillings and nyne pence.
Uppon the whche sayed land theare are seaven Cottags whiche pay the yearelie rente of Fower shillinges and eighte pence, unto the foresaied Roger Beare, pson of Morchard.
George Holgreve. Roger Sherland. John Comyns. Peter Follet. Emanuell Paidge.
Protestation Oath Returns - 1642
Following the rumours of an army plot to rescue the Earl of Stafford from the Tower, an oath "to live and die for the true Protestant religion, the liberties and rights of subjects and the privilege of Parliaments" was taken by members of the House of Commons on 3 May 1641.
On 4 January 1642, King Charles tried to arrest five Members of Parliament; so the Protestation was printed and sent out to the sheriffs of the counties for distribution to every parish, so that every man of 18 and over should take the oath. The text was read out in churches, and lists were made of all who signed or made their cross. The list for Morchard Bishop is at Appendix 5. The list is of interest from one point of view, other than recording the names of those who took the oath; it gives an indication of the size of the parish. There are some 253 names of adult males on the list, if we assume that there were roughly an equivalent number of adult females, then we have an adult population of about 500. The number of children can only be guessed at.
Hearth Tax 1662-1689
The tax was first imposed during the reign of King Charles II and required the occupants of houses to pay a tax of one shilling twice a year on Lady Day and Michaelmas for each hearth or stove. The poor were exempt as were charitable institutions. The responsibility for paying the tax was later shifted from the occupant to the landlord. The tax was abolished by King William III as a great oppression to the poorer sort, and also because it allowed every man's house to be entered and searched by persons unknown. A copy of the return for Morchard Bishop for 1674 is to be found at Appendix 6.
A study of the tax returns carried out in Cambridgeshire gives an indication of the size of the house and the average wealth of the occupant for each number of hearths. The results of this study are as follows:
|No. of Hearths||House Style||Average Wealth|
|1||Hearth in Hall||£25|
|2||No bedroom fires||£60|
|3||No. of rooms 6-8||£141|
|4||No. of rooms 6-14||£360|
Seven of the properties had 5 or more hearths indicating a considerable degree of affluence, a further six properties boasted 4 hearths which indicated fairly large farm houses probably occupied by yeoman farmers. Only four houses with 3 hearths then a rise to 31 houses with 2 hearths. The remaining 108 cottages had only 1 hearth, and include 73 householders who were too poor to pay the tax.
The Manors of Morchard Bishop
As a result of the sale (enforced or voluntary), or dispersal through marriage, of parts of the original Manor of Morchard Bishop; the Parish was broken down into a number of smaller manors. These included:
The Manor of Morchard Bishop.
The Manor of Morchard Arundell. (Dispersed in the 17th Century).
(see Court Rolls of the Manor of Morchard Arundell by Penny Whicher):
The Manor of the Rectory of Morchard Bishop:
The Manor of Rolstone:
The Forced Sale of the Manor of Morchard Bishop
In 1548 the Bishop of Exeter was required by King Edward VI to part with the Manor of Morchard Bishop to Sir Thomas Darcy. This sale would appear to be the original holding less the element that became the Manor of Morchard Arundell in 1268.
Letters Patent dated 28 June 1554 in the first year of the reign of Queen Mary approved the sale of the Lordship and Manor of Tuxwell and the Lordship and Manor of Morcharde late possessions of Thomas Darcye knight, Lord Darcye of Chiche to George Sydenham of Clyve in Somerset and Henry Bechar, citizen and haberdasher of London for £791-4-0d. Henry Bechar appears to have increased his holding in Morchard Bishop because in 1595/6 he and his wife Judith were taken to court by Oliver St John Esq. and Nicholas Luke Esq. over the possession of the Manors of Morchard Bishop and Rolstone and the following:-
20 messuages, 3 water mills, 20 gardens, 20 orchards, 80 acres of (plough?) land,
100 acres of meadow, 200 acres of pasture 300 acres of heath and 50 acres of
wood. St John and Luke failed in their case and had to pay the Bechars £1,100.
The Manor of Morchard Bishop was next sold in the 43rd year of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I on the 2nd February 1601 by Henry Bechar's son William to Edward Seymour Esq. for £2100.
Leases and Sales
Part of what is now the Parish of Morchard Bishop was owned by William Bodlye Esq. of Crediton. On 15 June 1579 he leased, for 80 years or the lives of the lessees, the property called Butcombe to Michael Tockar, weaver of Morchard Bishop, and his wife Thamsyne. The price of the lease was £26-13-4d, the rent 6s-8d per year and the heriot 20s. Ten years later he sold to John Tuckfield of Crediton the properties in Morchard Bishop in tenure of John, Richard and Robert How, Michael Tucker (see above with different spelling) and John Rogers. For a consideration of £100.
On 2 February 1601 William Bodleigh, now of Dunscombe, sold the remainder of his property in Morchard Bishop and Farway to John Tuckfield of Crediton, Gent. for £200.
John Copleston and Amyas his son of Warleighe purchased part of Aishmore from Sir Arthur Aclande of Aclande, Kt and Dame Elynor his wife for an unrecorded sum on 7 April 1606.
In 1607 Edward Seymour of Berry Castle, Esq. leased for 1000 years Middlecott, Wighamme, Allehaie and closes called Shrinkhill and Neweclose to Roger Sharland of Morchard Bishop, yeoman, for a consideration of £210, a rent of 18d per year and a heriot of 3s. A lease for a thousand years was most unusual, the standard term being 99 years or three lives.
By the 18th Century the Manor had become part of the Raddon Estate. Although the Manor Court Roll does not appear to have survived many of the supporting documents are held in the Devon County Record Office. Among them is a survey of the Manor dated 1777 which gives details of the tenants, their holdings and the rentals. (see Appendix 7)
The Manor of the Rectory of Morchard Bishop
This manor was in the gift of the Tuckfield family and by the 18th century was reputed to be one of the wealthiest livings in the Diocese of Exeter. The Manor Court Rolls from1720 have survived and are held in the Devon County Record Office. The Roll is in considerable detail and records the names of jurors, reeves and the transfer of property between tenants. It also lists the amercements (fines) for those who failed to attend the court. The following extract illustrates the transfer of the tenancy.
"To this Court came Mary Churchill Daughter of Christopher Churchill Clerk and took of Nutcombe Quicke Chancellor Lord of the Manor aforesaid of his own proper grant the Reversion of one Tenement or cottage called Tatepath and Thirty acres of Ground be it more or less with the Appurtonances situate laying and being within the Manor aforesaid which Christopher Churchill and William Churchill his brother now hold for the term of their lives and the longer liver of them by Copy of Court Roll according to the customs of the said Manor. To Have and to hold the reversion aforesaid and the aforesaid Tenement or Cottage called Tatepath and also the aforesaid Thirty acres of Ground with the Appurtonances unto the said Mary Churchill for the term of her life.......Yearly Rent of Ten shillings and the best Beast in the name of an Heriot or farliou when it shall happen and for such Estate in Reversion....... she hath given the said Lord for a fine Twenty one Pounds before hand paid and so she is admitted Tenant....."
The 18th Century
By this time the parish was firmly established, lying between the North flowing tributary of the Taw River system and the South flowing Creedy River system and bisected by the main turnpike road from Exeter to Barnstaple. The village of Morchard Bishop sat astride this road serving the parish and the travellers passing through it. The village was clustered round a triangular shaped green with the turnpike to Barnstaple following the West side. A road from the South end of the green provided access to the Parish Church of St Mary's. This road, known as "The Street", was lined with cottages on both sides. At the junction of The Street and the turnpike was, and still is, a coaching inn serving both the villagers and travellers.
Elsewhere within the parish were a number of hamlets with cottages clustered round one or more farms, the most notable being Oldborough, Frost, Knathorne, Middlecott, Rudge Arundell, Weeke and Rolstone. In addition there were many outlying farms and small holdings and at least two water mills at Wigham and Bugford.
The population of the Parish was about 2,000 during the 16th Century but then declined to about 1,700 by the beginning of the 19th Century. These figures appear to be at variance with those given by the Rectors in their replies to the Visitation queries, possibly because many of the outlying farms had several families living there of which the Rector may not have been aware. The two main occupations of the inhabitants were agriculture and weaving.
Arable farming was more common in the parish, during this period, than it is today. Corn providing a 'cash' crop which could be exported to the towns and cities within the county. Stock farming was mainly of sheep to provide wool to feed the numerous looms within the parish, and for export to Crediton and Tiverton. Cattle were kept as draught animals, to provide milk and clotted cream (instead of butter) for home and local consumption, and finally meat and hides. The smaller holdings tended to be intensively farmed growing corn and vegetable crops for home consumption or to be sold locally. Pigs were widely kept to provide meat for the table.
Weaving had been a cottage industry since the earliest days although there are few records of Morchard Bishop's in the flourishing export trade. However by the 17th Century the manufacture of serge in Devon was the most important element of the woollen industry in England. Morchard Bishop played no small part in this trade there being at least one water powered mill (Bugford) as well as the majority of cottages having a loom. A number of Yeoman farmers and gentlemen are recorded as textor or weaver. They would be the entrepreneurs of their time, buying in the yarn, farming it out to the cottagers for weaving, collecting the cloth and selling it on for finishing. During the 18th Century the industry gradually declined because of the European wars and the resulting closure of the European markets. Towards the end of the Century, the decline was hastened by the rise of the cotton industry in Lancashire and the development of the large power operated mills in Yorkshire. The effect of this on the weavers of Morchard Bishop was to change weaving from being a full time occupation for both male and female members of the cottage family to being a part time occupation for the females.
The social structure was clearly defined although there was considerable mobility between the various levels of the social scale. At the top of the tree in Morchard Bishop were the gentry, those who did no physical work but paid others to do it for them and were granted the title of 'Mr'. The Rector, or Vicar who deputised for him, and men of substance, such as John Branscombe (d.1728), John Chillcott (d.1736), John Comyns (d.1742), Philip Pope (d.1742) and John Tucker (d.1731).
Next came the yeoman farmers, they employed workers on the farm and servants in the house but they worked in the fields with their men when necessary. They farmed the larger farms and counted among their number the Wrefords of Middlecott, the Popes of Knathorne. Those who farmed the smaller farms or holdings were known as 'Husbandmen'. Husbandmen or smallholders tilled a small amount of land, kept pigs and possibly a cow. They would employ nobody other than their family and would supplement their income as a weaver or day labourer.
The tradesmen were the next step down in the socal scale, and finally the farm workers. Tradesmen would be the carpenter, cooper, wheelwright and the blacksmith and would be self employed. . The farm workers, skilled and semi skilled, some hired annually and some by the day. Their wives and daughters probably weaving as a source of extra income
Mobility between the various social levels, both upwards and downwards, was quite common. An example of downward movement is that of Robert Pope (1735 to1793), the eldest son of Yeoman Simon Pope (1710 to1773). Robert inherited little from his parents that was not carefully tied up. Two of his younger brothers achieved yeoman status, one at his father's farm, Knathorne and the other at Woodparks nearby on the Sandford Parish border. Robert's children and grandchildren however grew up to be farm labourers and weavers.
A list of the personalities who lived in Morchard Bishop during the 18th Century is at Appendix 8. The list is far from complete but shows some of the appointments they held and the properties they rented together with an indication of their social status. In some cases the division between "Gentleman" and "Yeoman" appears to be blurred and the title "Mr" may have been given to some who were not entitled to it.
Oath of Loyalty - 1723 In 1723 all adults were required to take an oath of loyalty, in front of a magistrate, to King George 1. The names of those from Morchard Bishop who took the oath are included in the list of personalities quoted in the previous paragraph. Of the 152 oathtakers 117 were men and 35 were women, three times more men than women.
The list of the oathtakers shows that 52 of the men could sign their names, just under half; whereas only three of the women could, less than one in ten.
During the 18th Century a record was kept of those men of substance who were available to sit on juries. The list was limited to those between the ages of 21 and 70 who held land; from 1692 as free holders or as copyholders to an annual value of £10 or more; form 1730 tenants with long leases of land of an annual value of £20 or more were added. This record, maintained in book form, is now held in the Devon County Records Office. The names of those living in Morchard Bishop so qualified are included in the list of personalities at Appendix 8.
Lay Subsidy Roll 1332
Extracted from the Crediton Hundred Roll
|William de Brouneston||12d|
|Richard de Brouneston||8d|
|John atte Hille||12d|
|Richard atte Hille||8d|
|Thomas atte Hille||10d|
|John de Knauethorn||12d|
|Robert de Knauethorn||12d|
|Robert de Wyke (Week)||12d|
|John de Wyke||8d|
|Walter de Wyke||2s|
|Robert de Wyke||2s|
|Agnes de Southcote||8d|
|Joan de Southcote||8d|
|Robert de Southcote||8d|
|Peter atte Rigge (Rudge)||8d|
|John atte Rigge||8d|
|John de Uppecote||16d|
|Eleanor atte Leghe||8d|
|Robert de Leghe||8d|
|Richard atte Leghe||12d|
|Robert de Knyghteston||8d|
|William atte Wode (Wood)||10d|
|Robert atte Wode||10d|
|Nicholas de Shipbrok (Shobrook)||8d|
|Richard atte Slade||2s|
|Susan de Wyggeham||12d.|
Lay Subsidy Roll 1524
|Wm Brounscombe||£1||John Cornew||£9||Richard White||£1|
|Ralph Belfyld||£4||Mathew Prudham||£6||Robert Smert||£6|
|Robert Fulford||£30||John Cheriton||£7||Thomas Cornew||£2|
|William Toker||£34||John Rowden||£8||Ralph Gribbell||£2|
|John Meyer||£9||Robert Richard||£3||Edmond Toker||£3|
|Edward More||£7||Richard Toker||£20||Henry Sherlond||£4|
|Thomas Whiteston||£18||William Stoddon||£6||John Shebroke||£5|
|Thomas Toker||£10||John Bonde||£2||Ralph Lane||£3|
|John Phelip||£2||Joan Bonde widow||£12||John How||£4|
|William White||£2||John Roger||£2||John Squyer||£3|
|Thomas Whitefeld||£1||John Brounscombe||£5||Robert Blackedon||£1|
|John Densham||£14||William Rigge||£2||Mathew Toker||£1|
|William Bonde||£1||Thomas Bowdon||£4||John Anthony||£6|
|John Hoper||£1||John Hoper||£1||Thomas Lyghtfote||£12|
|John Toker||£1||John Prous||£7||William Waryn||£6|
|Henry Bonde||£2||Roger Smert||£1||John Rychard||£1|
|Robert Bowdon||£4||Robert Rowland||£4||John Bowdon||£6|
|Henry Whiteston||£1||John Prest||£7||John Way||£1|
|Thomas Richard||£2||William Forde||£4||Richard Goggislonde||£1|
|William Borne||£2||John Downe||£12||Richard Skinner||£12|
|William How||£1||John Sherlond||£11||John Bonde jun||£1|
|Henry Bussell||£16||William Radford||£1||Robert Mylford||£1|
|John Lane||£1||John Rowlond||£1||Nicholas Squyer||£1|
|Robert Lane||£1||Richard Busell||£9||Laurence Bery||£1|
|Joan Sherlond widow||£2||John Harvy||£12||John Baker||£1|
|Richard Sherlond||£2||William Shere||£4||John Bampford||£1|
|John Toker jun||£2||Walter Whiteston||£5||Philip Butt||£1|
|John Vycary||£1||Richard Gover||£14||Robert Bussell||£2|
|John Locke||£1||John Whyteston||£2||John Meyer||£5|
|John Harvy||£1||John Backe||£8||Giles Breton of Briton||£1|
|Thomas Pope||£6||Simon Way||£12||William Leg||£5|
|Nicholas Cheriton||£3||William Squyer||£30||Walter Meyer||£5|
|Robert Toker||£6||Thomas Sherlond||£1||William Blake breton||£1|
Muster Roll 1569
Morchard Episcopi 1569
Presenters sworen: John Eston John Rudge William Chilcot John Smarte
Who do presente as aforesaid
William Dowrishe 1 amain rivet, 2 bows, 2 sheafs of arrows, 2 steel caps, 1 bill, 1 corslet.
John Commynge the same.
John Eston 1 almain rivet, 1 bow, 1 sheaf of arrows, 1 steel cap, 1 bill.
Roger Rede the same.
William Grigorye 1 bow, 1 sheaf of arrows, 1 steel cap, 1 bill.
William Gover the same.
Thomas Averey 1 corslet.
The inhabitants not particlarlie chardged by ye statute of Armor are acessd to fynde 2 corslets, 2 pikes, 2 calivers, 2 murryons.
The names of all thabell menne within the saide parishe of Bisshoppes Morchard
Thomas Whetstone, John Riche, William Hernamen, Henry Lane, Thomas Rowland, Richard Shebroke, Roger Sherelond, Henry Backe, John Towill, John Meare, William Weare, William Gratclief, Roger Hooper, Thomas Dewe, Robert Smarte, Edward Somerwill.
Edward Brownson, George Toker, Robert Densham, John Reymont, Robert Bordfilde, John Dewe, Simon Gribbell, John Bonde, William Walter, John Fowke.
William Smarte, John Smarte, Edmond Radford, Henry Tooker, Robert Toker, Robert Norwood, Henry Smarte, Roger Baker, Richard Laishebroke, Robert Bonde.
John Morries, John Clogge, Ralph Backe, Robert Gover, Robert Radforde, Andrew More, Roger Webber, Simon Radford, Robert More.
Morchard Bysshop. A Rate made ye xiith daie of Januarye 1600 for the mayneteynance of the Churche.
|John Easton, gent.||for the Bartin of Easton||5.||10|
|William Dowrishe||for Braodgate & Whitley pks||2.||8|
|for the mil pks||8|
|John Rudge, gent.||for Rudge||2.||6|
|for buckeber mills||6|
|Robert Davie, gent.||for Bysshopsley||2.||6|
|Robert Cole||for Upcotte||19|
|Thomazine Howell, vid (widow)||for Brounston||3.|
|John Furse, gent||for Rolston||2.||6|
|Symon Gover||for Venn||15|
|for Archill & Zeagland||5|
|Roger Sherland||for Weeke with a peoce of ground late John Atwils||2.||7|
|for Butter hills & B...hey Moore||2|
|for Morchard pke||20|
|Peeter Commyns||for East hill||17|
|Thomas Quicke||for the Bartin||2.||3|
|for Tingewood Downe||3|
|for a Tent (Tenement, house) in Morchard towne||6|
|Phillip Gover||for Broad Rudge||18|
|For Tingwoode Downe||6|
|Joane Prudham, vid (widow)||for ye two Venns||15|
|for Harte Aishe||15|
|John Chilcott||for Brounston||9|
|Roberte Bonde||for Southcott||17|
|John Webbar & John Bond||for Nouwood||18|
|Henrie Lane & Roberte Cheriton||for Weeke||16|
|Henrie Lane||for the fore Downes||2|
|Roberte Cheriton||for Collins pke||3|
|Roberte Radford||for Meare||18|
|Joane Lobdon||for Midleyey (Middle Leigh)||18|
|Peeter Tollett||for Slade||16|
|John Cheriton||for Kniston Downes||13|
|Joane Tucker, vid (widow)||for Weeke||16|
|Thomazine Milford, vid (widow)||for Southcott||16|
|Thomas White & Durant his son||16|
|John Shobbroke||for Wigham||13|
|Roger Howe||for Southcott||16|
|Widd Lucye||for Shoubbroke||16|
|Wid Meare & William her son||for Shoubbroke||16|
|Humfrye Stone||for Knowhorne (Knathorne)||16|
|Peeter Pope||for Knowhorne||16|
|Phillippe Ponde||for Knowhorne||16|
|Mathie Wreaford||for Midlecott||14|
|Anthonie Rede||for Rudge Reve||14|
|for the cott||5|
|Peeter Commyns||for a piece of ley ground||3|
|George Bidgood||for Lang Marshe||13|
|Peeter Commyns, Sen.||for pte of Ley (Jnr)||10|
|Robarte Webbar||for Moore||11|
|Thomas Pope||for North Ley||10|
|Richard Person||for Ley||10|
|Thomas Pridham||for North Hill||13|
|Robarte Godsland||for South Hill||13|
|Robarte Densham||for Oldborrow and Midlecott||11|
|Dorrothie Nercott, vid (widow)||12|
|John Bond||for Midlecott||8|
|Thomas Wilson||for ye one moitey (part) of Sherland||9|
|George Gregorye||for the other moitey of Sherlond||9|
|Loare Pope, vid (widow)||for Hosecombe||6|
|Agnes Tucker, vid(widow)||for Yolland||6|
|Roger Webbar||for Woodend||10|
|John Whetstone||for Stonehowse||9|
|Rychard Rogers||for Watcombe||8|
|Dunstane Glasse & John Glasse||for Chillaford||6|
|John Delve||for Aishe||9|
|John Mortymer||for Frierland||6|
|John Burrington||for Aishe Moore||4|
|Robarte Howe||for pte of Aishe||5|
|Nicholas Pope & James Milton||for Aishcott||12|
|Mychaell Tucker||for Butcomb||5|
|William Speare||for pte of Ley||4|
|Humfrye Tucker||for the farthing pke||5|
|John Moore||for tingwoode Downe||3|
|William Shoubbroke||for Coltehill||6|
|Robarte Froste||for the Oxen pke||3|
|Wid Skott||for a tent in Kingston||5|
|Joane Densham||for Tattapath||3|
|John Clogge||for Aishe hill||1|
|John Weare||for the Fare Downes||3|
|John Rogers||for Burch hill||2|
|John How, Rychard How & Robarte How||for Flexmoore||10|
|Rychard Howe||for one tent in Aishe||3|
|Weche (Week) Tenement||10|
|George Gregorye||for Ven meadowes||1|
|___||___||£4. 18. 7|
12th of Januarie 1600. This Rate within written was made by the consente of those pishioners hereunder written.
|Imprimis. Roger Beare, pson.|
|John Rudge, gen.|
|John Band, junr.|
Devon Protestation Oath Returns 1642
Morchard Bishop Parish
|Babeare, Ralph||Flocker, John||Meadway, Richard|
|Backe, Philip||Gater, Edmund||Meadway, William|
|Backe, Roger||Gater, Henry||Meare, John|
|Backe William||Gater, John||Meare, Robert|
|Bagwell, Peter||Gater, Philip||Meare, Roger|
|Barrye, John||Gater, William||Meare, Thomas|
|Beard, George||Geffry, Simon||Meare, William|
|Beare, Emmanuel||Gibbens, Robert||Mercer, Thomas|
|Beeset, Roger||Gibbins, John||Midford Robert|
|Berrye, Anthony||Glasse, Dunstan||Milford, Benjamin|
|Bibins, Shinling||Glasse, John||Milford, Thomas|
|Bodden, Robert||Godsland, Robert||Mogford, Thomas|
|Bond, James||Gollocke, Thomas||Moore, Ellnett|
|Bond, Robert||Gosland, John||Moore, George|
|Bond, Robert||Gover, William||Moore, Hugh|
|Bond, Robert||Grantland, Peter||Moore, John|
|Bond, William||Gregory, George||Moore, Richard|
|Borow, Roger||Gregory, Simon||More, John|
|Brownston, Thomas||Gregory, William||More, William|
|Buttow, John||Grimslade, Henry||Mortemere, Thomas|
|Carm, Edwards||Grybell, George||Mortymer, Simon|
|Carpenter, Henry||Hacke, Matthew||Northcott, Roger|
|Carpenter, Henry||Haldon, Peter||Paidge, Emmanuel|
|Cheriton, Roger||Hammett, Peter||Paidge, William|
|Cheriton, Roger||Harres, John||Parker, Edward|
|Chilcottes, Humphrey||Heale, William||Phibye, John|
|Chudley, John||Heard, William||Phillipp, Elias|
|Clement, John||Hedgland, Humphrey||Philp, John|
|Clement, Roger||Hilston, Peter||Philpe, Gilbert|
|Clement, Roger||Hinches, John||Philpe, Gilbert|
|Clement, Robert||Hockiton, Robert||Philpe, Humphrey|
|Clement, Thomas||Hodge, Philip||Philpe, Roger|
|Comyns, John||Hodge, Philip||Pope, Henry|
|Comyns, Lewis||Holwell, John||Pope, Henry|
|Coxe, Nicholas||Hore, George||Pope, John|
|Crewes, Edward||Hore, Hugh||Pope, Philip|
|Cridpen, Thomas||Hore, John||Pope, Thomas|
|Cryspain, Thomas||Humacott, George||Pope, William|
|Daggary, Robert||Isake, Matthew||Pope, William|
|Davie, Durant||Kene, Simon||Pridham, Gilbert|
|Davie, Edmund||Kingwell, James||Prydham, John|
|Davie, John||Land, Alexander||Prye, Roger|
|Davie, John||Lane, Philip||Quicke, Henry|
|Davie, John||Lawrance, Richard||Quicke, Henry|
|Delord, Robert||Lawrence, Humphrey||Quicke, John|
|Delve, Richard||Lyne, John||Quicke, Peter|
|Dodderage, Roger||Lyor, Roger||Quicke, Peter|
|Dodford, Robert||Mare, Gilbert||Quicke, Robert|
|Drake, George||Martin, William||Quicke, Roger|
|Drake, Stephen||Maye, Walter||Quicke, Thomas|
|Elles, Jasper||Meadway, John||Quicke, William|
|Quicke, William||Thorpe, Robert||Waye, John|
|Quicke, William||Tincombe, Robert||Waye, Philip|
|Reede, Anthony||Tinkecom, George||Waye, Roger|
|Reede, George||Trape, Thomas||Webber, George|
|Rewe, Thomas||Tucfeild, Humphrey||Webber, John|
|Rogers, Peter||Tucker, Anthony||Webber, John|
|Roode, Peter||Tucker, Edward||Webber, Peter|
|Rowe, George||Tucker, James||Whethcon, Michael|
|Rowe, George||Tucker, John||Whetston, Edward|
|Rowland, George||Tucker, John||Whetston, John|
|Rowland, John||Tucker, John||Whetstone, John|
|Sharland, George||Tucker, John||Whetstone, Robert|
|Sharland, Simon||Tucker, Peter||White, Ambrose|
|Shearloond, John||Tucker, Ralph||White, Peter|
|Sheerland, John||Tucker, Robert||Wilford, Henry|
|Shepyeard, John||Tucker, Robert||William, David|
|Sherland, Henry||Tucker, Robert||Wilson, Ambrose|
|Sherland, Robert||Tucker Robert||Wilson, Anthony|
|Shobroke, Philip||Tucker, Robert||Wilson, Anthony|
|Shobroke, Robert||Tucker, Robert||Wilson, Hugh|
|Shutt, Geoffrey||Tucker, Roger||Wilson, James|
|Smart, Richard||Tucker, Roger||Wilson, John|
|Smyth, Giles||Tucker, Simon||Wilson, Robert|
|Southwood, James||Tucker, William||Wilson, Roger|
|Sowden, George||Tucker, William||Wilson, Thomas|
|Speare, Richard||Venn, Thomas||Woodman, William|
|Speare, William||Venn, William||Woodman, William|
|Strang, Bennett||Warman, Robert||Wreford, John|
|Strong, Thomas||Way, Edward||Wreford, Matthew|
|Stronge, John||Way, Jerome||Wreford, Michael|
|Temlet, George||Way, Robert||Wreford, Richard|
|Robert Snow Rector||John Shobroke Constable|
|John Gove Churchwarden||John Meard Constable|
|Simon Pridham Churchwarden||John Bond Overseer|
|William Hodge Overseer|
Extracts from Devon Hearth Tax - 1674
Morchard Bishop Parish
|Jno Quicke Esq.||6||Wm Showbrooke||4||Wm Paige||1|
|et pro Weekes||4||Wm Tucker||2||Peter Labdon||1|
|Edw Pridham||7||Phil Shobrooke||2||Wm Gregory||1|
|Jno Commyns||7||Jone Wreyford||2||Peter Titteras||2|
|Gabriel Green||4||Jone Tucker||2||Peter Whitefield||2|
|Geo Commyns||5||Jno Webber||2||Philip Pope||4|
|Wido Rudge||6||Peter Commyn||3||Jno Wassey||2|
|Wm Chilcott||2||Roger Commyn||3||Tho.....||1|
|Wm Showbrooke||2||Jno Phillips||4||Jno Mase||6|
|Jno Showbrooke||2||Robt Bidgood||1||Tho Marke||1|
|Hen Pope||1||.......................||.||Jno Pope||2|
|Mary Glover||2||......... G...........||.||Jno Gater||2|
|.... Tucker||2||Rog C............||1||Tho Sharland||1|
|Rob Quick||1||Phil ................||1||Rich Sharland||1|
|Robt Quick jun||1||Jon W............||2||Rob Roade||2|
|... ..........||1||Lewis Co....||2||Rob Gater||2|
|... Webber||1||Hen Shutt||1||Peter Tincombe||1|
|Wm Hodge||5||Wal Browne||1||Phil Hodge||3|
|Wm ..........||2||Tho Mare||1||Jno Tucker||2|
|F... Commyns||3||.... Burridge||1||Wido White||2|
|Wm Moore||2||Geo Darell||2|
|.... Maunder||1||Jno Northcott||1||Rob Tucker||1|
|Tho Burrow||1||Hen Quick||1||Gilb Phillips||2|
|.... .....||.||T... ..ston||2||James Midlake||1|
|P... C....||2||Math Wreyford||1||Agnis Quick||1|
|Jno .....||2||Rob Frayman||1||Rob Woodman||1|
|Roger .....||2||Allex Lane||1||Tho Delve||1|
|.... .....||1||Jno How||2||Forge||1|
|Robt Wo...||2||Tho Pope||1||Joyce Grigorey||4|
|The Poore of Morchard Bishop|
|Steph Drake||1||Tho Jope||1||Tho Gillock||1|
|Hen Sharland||1||Roger Quick||1||St... Drake jun||1|
|Roger Tucker||1||Ben Milford||1||Jno Glass||1|
|Roger Tucker jun||1||Peter Quick||2||Rich D....||1|
|Mary Harris||1||Peter Bagwell||1||G... Weston||.|
|Jno Sharland||1||Jane Mortimore||1||(19 names illegible)|
|.... Venn||1||Rob Woodmen jun||1|
|Jno C.....||1||Rich James||1||Wm .....||1|
|Rob Woodman sen||1||Lewis Ven||1||Tho .....||1|
|.... Brooke||1||Wm Dannell||1||Jer Way||1|
|B... Mortimore||1||Vinson Glass||1||Rob Way||1|
|Israel Tucker||1||Jno Philp||1||Tho Strong||1|
|Tho Mortimore||1||Rob Way||1||Wm Tucker||1|
|Tho Mortimore||1||Jno Bounsdon||1||Geo Row||1|
|Rob Moore||1||Austyn Keene||1||Vido Dodridge||1|
|Robt Tucker||1||Geo Westcott||1||James Hore||1|
|Will Way||1||Phil Cock||1||Eliza Quick||1|
|Ananias White||1||Rob Gover||1|
|Rob Crocker||1||Hen Lane||1|
Manor of Morchard Bishop - A survey of 1777
|No. 1 the New Inn|
|Tenant||Mr Robert Tucker|
|Lives||Robert Tucker party age 53 years.|
|William Connibeare age 24 years|
|Robert son of John Godslandage 9 years|
|"A dwelling house kept as an Inn now called the New Inn with a Malthouse Stable and other convenient Outhouses and two little Orchards or Garden Plotts of one rood (1/4 acre).
Yearly value £7"
|No. 2 Late Brownscombes Tenement now called Paradice|
|Tenant||Mrs Ann Lane|
|Lives||Ann Lane Party age 58|
|Joanna Page age 40|
|William Challice age 20|
|"On this Tenement is a Good Dwellinghouse with a Small Inclosed Garden a Barn Stable and other Convenient Outhouses. 8 acres"|
|No. 3 Moiety of Butcombe|
|Tenant||Mr John Elston|
|Life||Jonas Labbett age 35|
|Conventionary Rent||6s 8d|
|"On this Tenement is a Good Dwellinghouse Barn Stable Cellar Shippens and other Convenient Outhouses with a Large Courtlage. 31 Acres. Moiety 15 acres 2 roods.
NB - This is an Undivided Estate..........the other Moiety belongs to the said John Elston the Lessee.
Yearly value £25"
|No. 4 Brownston Barton|
|Tenant||Mr John Page|
|Lives||Mr John Page Party age 47|
|Jane Daughter of John Sherland age 36|
|Elizabeth Daughter of John Gotham age 48|
|Herriot (Best Beast)||£6|
|"On This Tenement are a very Good Farm House with Two Barns a Sheeppen and Linhay and other Convenient Outhouses and a Large Courtlage. 162 acres 3 roods."|
|No. 5 Broadgate|
|Tenant||Mr Andrew Elworthy|
|Life||Andrew Elworthy age 80|
|Herriot (Best Beast)||£6|
|"On this Tenement is a good Farmhouse, two Barns a Poundhouse with Convenient Stables Linhay Outhouses and a Large Courtlage and a Plott of ground on the North of the Courtlage called the New Plott. 104 acres 1 rood.
Yearly value £81 13s 9d"
|No. 6 Late Shorlands Cawten Tenements|
|Tenant||Mr Robert Potter|
|Lives||Robert Potter party age 33|
|Thomazine Potter his Wife age 40|
|Richard Maredon age 13|
|"On this Tenement is a Cottage House. 6 acres 2 roods."|
|No. 8 Tremains Ground|
|Lives||Nicholas Gibbons party age 55|
|Agnes his Wife age 52|
|Agnes Gibbons age 26|
|Coventionary Rent||£4 8s|
|"8 acres 1 rood"|
|No. 9 the Oxenparks|
|Tenant||Mr Samuel Mare|
|Lives||Samuel Mare age 56|
|Samuel Mare son of Samuel Mare age 32|
|"15 acres 20 perches"|
|No. 10 A Moiety of Birchingbeare|
|Lives||Samuel Mare age 56|
|William Mare age 50|
|Roger Mare age 55|
|"On this Tenement is a Dwellinghouse and Barn in very bad condition. 5 acres 2 roods"|
|No. 11 Pauls Cottage at Oldaborough|
|Lives||Mary Mare now Pope age 47|
|John Mare age 43|
|Conventionary Rent||1s 4d|
|"This House in very indifferent repair"|
|No. 12 Litchingtons Cottage at Oldaborough|
|Tenant||Mr Robert Leach|
|Lives||Samuel Mare age 56|
|William Mare age50|
|Roger Mare jnr age55|
|Conventionary Rent||2s 6d|
|"Of an area of 30 perches"|
|No. 13 Clements Cottage at Oldaborough|
|Lives||Samuel Mare age 56|
|William Mare age 50|
|Roger Mare jnr age55|
|"Cottage or Dwellinhouse and a little Garden Plott adjoining lying on the West side of the Road in very Indifferent repair"|
|No. 14 Millparkes|
|Lives||Henry Pope age 76|
|Samuel Mare age56|
|Samuel Mare his son age 32|
|Conventionary Rent||12s 6d|
|"On this Tenement is a Barn Linhay and Courtlage. 28 acres."|
|No. 19 Crookstock late East Ringwood Downe|
|Life||Joan Woodman age 63|
|Conventionary Rent||6s 8d|
|"On this Tenement is a Dwellinghouse Barn and Sheeppen. 25 acres 1 rood. Yearly value £14 8s."|
Personalities of the 18th Century
Back, John; d. 1761: Rectory Manor juror 1733-1743.
Back, John; d. 1781; Rectory Manor juror 1747-1764; Rectory Manor Reeve 1753.
Back, Philip; d. 1730; Rectory Manor juror 1724-1730.
Baker, Anthony; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Billing, Edward; d. 1760; Rectory Manor juror 1731-1759; Rectory Manor Reeve 1735; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Billing, Thomasin; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Bolt, Robert; d. 1820; Rectory Manor juror 1788-1798; Rectory Manor Reeve 1781.
Bond, Elizabeth; d. 1745; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Bond, John; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Bond, John jnr; d. 1724; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Bond, Roger; d. 1752; Churchwarden 1742; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Bond, Roger, yeoman of Rollstone; d. 1735; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733, 1741.
Bowden, Daniel; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Branscombe, Mr John; d. 1728; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Branscomb, John jnr; d. 1748; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Branscombe, Joseph; d. 1763; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for East Ash; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733.
Brownston, John; d. 1756; Rectory Manor juror 1745-1756; Rectory Manor Reeve 1745.
Brownston, Thomas; d. 1757; Rectory Manor juror 1720-1756; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Burrough, John; d. 1831; Rectory Manor juror 1797; Rectory Manor Reeve 1774, 1797.
Burrough, Richard; d. 1766; Rectory Manor juror 1720-1750; Rectory Manor Reeve 1750; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Burrough, John; d. 1776; Rectory Manor Juror 1747-1774; Rectory Manor Reeve 1761.
Bury, Thomas Esq. of Higher Brownston; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor.
Cann, John; Freeholder 1762, 1771.
Cann, Richard, of Bugbeare Mill; d. 1762; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733.
Cann, William; Freeholder 1799.
Challice, Molly; d. 1842; Rectory Manor juror 1798.
Challice, Richard; Freeholder 1799.
Cheriton, John; d. 1763; Churchwarden 1739 and 1744; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Chilcott, Mr John; d. 1736; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1711, 1721, 1733.
Chilcott, Mrs Thomazin; d. 1756; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Northwood; Took Loyal Oath 1723.
Churchill, Mr William; Rectory Manor juror 1756.
Churchill, the Revd Henry; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor; Rector 1719 and Lord of the Rectory Manor.
Climett,Thomasine; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Cobly, Dinah; d. 1741; Rectory Manor juror 1731.
Cobly, John; d. 1724; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Cobly, Thomas; d. 1768; Rectory Manor juror 1742-1765; Rectory Manor Reeve 1744.
Cole, John; Rectory Manor Juror 1787-1790; Rectory Manor Reeve 1787.
Colman, Ann; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Comyns, Mrs Elizabeth; d. 1767; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Comyns, Mr John; Freeholder 1711, 1721.
Comyns, Lewis; d. 1733; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Comyns, Mrs Mary; d. 1758; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Comyns, Mr John; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Broadridge; Freeholder 1733.
Comyns, Mr Peter; d. 1735; Joint Tenant with Wm Morrish of Morchard Bishop Manor for Hill; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1721, 1733.
Comyns, Peter; d. 1730; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Comyns, Mr Peter jnr; d. 1770; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1711, 1733, 1741, 1751, 1762.
Comyns, Simon; d. 1727; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Crocker, Joane; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Davy, Hugh; d. 1827; Rectory Manor juror 1798-1799; Freeholder 1799.
Delve, Daniel; d. 1728; Rectory Manor juror 1725.
Delve, William; d. 1753; Rectory Manor juror 1721-1749.
Delve, William; d. 1788; Rectory Manor juror 1779- 1786; Rectory Manor Reeve 1770.
Densham, John; Rectory Manor juror 1731-1757; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Densham, John jnr; Rectory Manor juror 1741-1765; Rectory Manor Reeve 1773 and 1774.
Densham, Matthew; d.1788; Rectory Manor Reeve 1780.
Densham, Richard; d. 1726; Rectory Manor juror 1721-1724; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Densham, Roger; d. 1773; Freeholder 1762, 1783, 1799.
East, John; d. 1744; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Edwards, John; d. 1819; Rectory Manor juror 1781-1798; Rectory Manor Reeve 1777.
Edwards, Richard; Rectory Manor juror 1752-1799; Rectory Manor Reeve 1749.
Edwards, William; Recory Manor juror 1756-1779; Rectory Manor Reeve 1756.
Elliott, George; Rectory Manor juror 1735-1765; Rectory Manor Reeve 1773.
Elston, Agnes; d. 1759; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Tucker's Cottage.
Elston, Joan; d. 1743; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Elston, John; d. 1789; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for a moiety of Butcombe.
Elston, John; d. 1774; took Loyalty Oath 1723.
Elston, Josiah; d.1812; Rectory Manor juror 1798-1799; Rectory Manor Reeve 1798.
Elston, Nathaniel; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Elston, Nathaniel; Freeholder 1771.
Elston, Richard; d. 1745; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Hurscombe; Freeholder 1733.
Elworthy, Mr Andrew; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Broadgate.
Furze, Grace; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Galsworthy, Ann; d. 1732; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Galsworthy, James; d. 1721; Rectory Manor juror 1720-1721.
Galsworthy, Richard; d. 1790; Rectory Manor juror 1757-1778; Rectory Manor Reeve 1755; Churchwarden 1742.
Galsworthy, Richard; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Gernsey, John; d. 1748; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Gibbings, Nicholas; d. 1799; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Tremains Ground.
Gibbings, Thomas; Churchwarden 1741.
Glanfield, Bartholemew; Rectory Manor juror 1765-1799; Rectory Manor Reeve 1767 and 1775.
Glanfield, William; d.1756; Churchwarden 1747.
Glanfield, John; Freeholder 1771, 1783.
Godbeer, Joane; d.1727; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Godfrey, John; d. 1745; Rectory Manor juror 1731-1745.
Gosland, Mary; d. 1742; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Gotham, Matthew, weaver; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1721, 1733, 1741.
Grant, Robert; Freeholder 1799.
Gregory, George; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Gregory, John; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Gregory, Rebecca; d. 1729; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Gregory, Robert; d. 1768; Freeholder 1762.
Gregory, Thomas, d. 1757; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Slade.
Gregory, William; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Gullick, William; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Harvey, Elizabeth; d. 1739; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Hodge, John; d. 1734; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Hopkins, Henry; d. 1774; Rectory Manor juror 1750-1765
Horwill, Matthew; d. 1740; Rectory Manor juror 1720-1738; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Horwill, Samuel; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Hosegood, George; d. 1798; Rectory Manor Reeve 1791.
Hosegood, John; Rectory Manor juror 1797.
How, John; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Howard, Henry; d. 1763; Rectory Manor juror 1757.
James, John, yeoman; d. 1763;Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Westhill; Rectory Manor juror 1730-1745; Rectory Manor Reeve 1731; Freeholder 1741.
Jarman, John; d. 1809; Rectory Manor juror 1746; Rectory Manor Reeve 1788; Freeholder 1733.
Jarman, Philip; d. 1766; Rectory Manor juror 1730-1759; Rectory Manor Reeve 1736 and 1764; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Job, Henry; d. 1731; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Jones, Francis; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Kelland, Richard; Freeholder 1771, 1783.
Kelland, William; Freeholder 1762.
Kinwell, Richard; Rectory Manor juror 1721-1765; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Kingwell, Richard; d. 1731; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Lane, Mrs Anne; d. 1785; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Paradice.
Lane, Mrs Grace; d.1741; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Lane, Mr John; Rectory Manor juror 1764-1765; Rectory Manor Reeve 1788; Freeholder 1762, 1771, 1783.
Lane, John; d. 1742; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Lane, Philip, yeoman; d. 1760; Rectory Manor juror 1725-1760; Churchwarden 1739; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1721, 1733, 1741.
Lane, Mr Philip; Freeholder 1762, 1771, 1783.
Lane, Robert; Churchwarden 1741 and 1743; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733.
Lane, Roger; d. 1734; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Lane, Wilmot; d. 1732; Rectory Manor juror 1724; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Leach, John; Churchwarden 1745.
Leach, John; Freeholder 1783, 1799.
Leach, Josiah; Freeholder 1771.
Leach, Mr Robert; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Litchingtons Cottage, Oldborough; Freeholder 1799.
Leach, Roger; Freeholder 1783, 1799.
Leach, Thomas; Freeholder 1783.
Loosemore, Roger, yeoman; Freeholder 1733, 1741; Leaseholder 1751.
Manley, John; Rectory Manor juror 1760.
Manley, John; d. 1747; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733, 1741.
Manley, John; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Manley, Robert; d.1725; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Manley, Thomazin; d. 1749; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Mare, John; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for a moiety of Birchingbeare, Paul's Cottage and Clement's Cottage, Oldborough.
Mare, John; Freeholder 1799.
Mare, Mary; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Mare, Peter; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1711, 1721.
Mare, Mr Roger, weaver; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Watcombe; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733, 1741.
Mare, Mr Samuel; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for The Oxenparkes.
Mare, Valentine; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Maunder, George; d. 1812; Rectory Manor juror 1792; Rectory Manor Reeve 1792.
Meadway, Thomas; d. 1769; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Meadway, William; d. 1751; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Mercer, Alice; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Mercer, Thomas; d. 1738; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Mercer, George; d. 1740; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Milford, Christopher; d. 1727; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Milford, Patience; d. 1740; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Moore, Thomas; Churchwarden 1747.
Morris, John; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Morris, Robert; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Morrish, Christian; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Morrish, James; d. 1742; Rectory Manor juror 1720-1741; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Morrish, Robert; d. 1756; Rectory Manor juror 1720-1753; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Morrish, William; d. 1755; Rectory Manor juror 1731-1740, took Loyal Oath 1723.
Morrish, William; Rectory Manor juror 1743-1765 Rectory Manor Reeve 1747 and 1748; Churchwarden 1749; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Morrish, William; Rectory Manor juror 1752-1769.
Morrish, William; d. 1743; Joint Tenant with Peter Comyns of Morchard Bishop Manor for Hill.
Morrish, widow of William; Rectory Manor juror 1742
Mortemer, John; Rectory Manor juror 1731-1744.
Mortimer, John; Freeholder 1799.
Mortimer, Robert; d.1796; Rectory Manor juror 1794; Rectory Manor Reeve 1794.
Mortimer, William; Rectory Manor juror 1776-1792.
Northcott, Roger; d. 1761; Rectory Manor juror 1721-1757; Rectory Manor Reeve 1751 and 1752; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Packer, Abraham; d. 1747; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Page, Mr John; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Brownston Barton; Freeholder 1762, 1771, 1783, 1799.
Page, Nicholas; Freeholder 1799.
Page, William; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Paige, Nicholas, yeoman; d. 1756; Freeholder 1733, 1741; 1751.
Partridge, Joan; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Partridge, Richard; Freeholder 1799.
Partridge, Thomas; d. 1827; Rectory Manor Juror 1788-1798; Rectory Manor Reeve 1793.
Partridge, William; Rectory Manor juror 1742; Rectory Manor Reeve 1741; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Phillip, John; d. 1741; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Phillip, John; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Pinsent, Henry; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Pope, Henry, yeoman; d 1781; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1711, 1721, 1751, 1762.
Pope, Henry; d. 1765; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Pope, John; Freeholder 1771, 1783, 1799.
Pope, Mary; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Pope, Mrs Joan; d. 1733; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Pope, Mr Philip, of Downfoot; d. 1742; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Venn Raddon; Took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733.
Pope, Philip, yeoman; d. 1754; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1721, 1733.
Pope, Sarah; d. 1781; Morchard Bishop Manor tenant for Millparkes.
Pope, Simon, yeoman; d. 1773; Churchwarden 1748 and 1752; Freeholder 1741, 1771; Leaseholder 1751, 1762.
Pope, Thomas, yeoman; d. 1740; Rectory Manor juror 1721-1731; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Pope, William; Freeholder 1799.
Potter, Mr Robert; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Shorlands
Pridham, Martha; d.1742; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Quick, Joan; d. 1746; Rectory Manor juror 1731; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Quick, John; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Quick, Nutcombe; Rector 1752 and Lord of the Rectory Manor.
Quick, Peter; took Loyal Oath 1723..
Quick, Thomas; d. 1744; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Langmarsh; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733, 1741.
Quicke, Anne; d. 1735; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Quicke, Roger; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Reed, Roger, yeoman; Churchwarden 1740; Freeholder 1741.
Rice, Roger; Rectory Manor juror 1798-1799; Rectory Manor Reeve1782.
Rice, William; Rectory Manor juror 1731-1757.
Richards, William; d. 1817; Rectory Manor juror 1770-1799; Rectory Manor Reeve 1772 and 1783.
Rudge, John; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Salter, Robert; d. 1753; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Sharland, Jasper; d. 1726; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Sherland, Francis; d. 1729; Rectory Manor juror 1720-1729; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Sherland, John; d. 1776; Rectory Manor Juror 1745-1767;Rectory Manor Reeve 1760; Churchwarden 1745.
Sherland, John; d. 1729; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Shobrooke, Richard; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Highland.
Shobrook, William; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Smale, William; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Smith, John; d. 1759; Rectory Manor juror 1745-1757.
Smith, Philip; d. 1764; Rectory Manor juror 1731-1757.
Smith, Roger; d. 1753; Rectory Manor juror 1720-1753; Rectory Manor Reeve 1734.
Smith, Thomas; d. 1807; Rectory Manor juror 1768-1799; Rectory Manor Reeve 1769.
Snell, Samuel; Joint Tenant with William Thomas Morchard Bishop Manor for Middle Lee.
Snow, Christopher; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Southcott, Henry; d. 1796; Rectory Manor juror 1786-1787;Rectory Manor Reeve 1786.
Southcott Richard; d.1819; Rectory Manor juror 1790-1797; Rectory Manor Reeve 1789.
Southcott, William; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Southcott (als Cercott), John; d. 1760; Rectory Manor Reeve 1746.
Steer, Charles; d. 1755; Churchwarden 1749; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Strange, Michael; d. 1749; Rectory Manor juror 1721-1724; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Stribling, William; d. 1825; Rectory Manor Reeve 1790.
Strong, Michael; d. 1749; Rectory Manor juror 1745.
Thomas, Judith; d. 1766; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Thomas, William; d. 1760; Joint Tenant with Samuel Snell Morchard Bishop Manor for Middle Lee; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Tucker, John; Rectory Manor Reeve 1784.
Tucker, Mr John; d. 1731; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Tucker, Mrs Agnes; d, 1729; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Tucker, Mr Peter jnr; d. 1743; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Tucker, Peter, yeoman; Freeholder 1741, 1771.
Tucker, Ralph; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Tucker, Robert; d. 1747; Rectory Manor juror 1724-1742; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1721, 1733, 1741,
Tucker, Robert; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for The New Inn; Rectory Manor juror 1756-1769; Rectory Manor Reeve 1759, Freeholder 1771, 1783.
Tucker, Roger; d. 1741; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Tucker, Thomas, a butcher; d.1780; Churchwarden 1752; Freeholder 1733, 1741, 1751, 1762.
Tucker, Thomas; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Tucker, Thomas; Freeholder 1799.
Tucker, Thomazin; d. 1766; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor.
Tucker, William; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733, 1741.
Ven. John; d. 1737; Rectory Manor juror 1725-1736; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Venn, Anne; took Loyal Oath1723.
Venn, Thomas; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Vicary, Alexander; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Way, Walter; d. 1741; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Webber, James; d. 1735; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1711..
Webber, Joan; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Webber, John; Churchwarden 1756.
Webber, John; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Easter Greatparkes.
Webber, John; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Crookstock; Freeholder 1751, 1762, 1783, 1799.
Webber, Richard, butcher; d. 1787; Freeholder 1741, 1751, 1762, 1771, 1783.
Whiddon, Philip; d. 1743; Rectory Manor juror 1724-1742; Rectory Manor Reeve 1738.
Whiddon, William; d. 1796; Rectory Manor juror 1754-1792; Rectory Manor Reeve 1778.
Wilson, John; d. 1771; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Wilson, Katherine; d. 1733; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Wilson Robert snr; d. 1732; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Wilson, Robert; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1762, 1771, 1783.
Wilson, Thomas; d. 1738; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Wilson, Wilmot; d. 1771; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for land at Middlecott.
Woodman, George; Rectory Manor juror 1742.
Woodman, Jacob; Rectory Manor juror 1721.
Woodman, John; Rectory Manor juror 1725-1765; Rectory Manor Reeve 1742; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Woodman, Robert; d. 1756; Rectory Manor juror 1742-1756; Rectory Manor Reeve 1754.
Woodman, Thomas; Rectory Manor juror 1747-1798; Rectory Manor Reeve 1785.
Wreford, John, of Hill; Freeholder 1771,1783.
Wreford, John; Freeholder 1771.
Wreford, Matthew; Rectory Manor juror 1797; Rectory Manor Reeve 1796; Freeholder 1771, 1783, 1799.
Wreford, Matthew, butcher; d. 1763; Churchwarden 1740 and 1743; took Loyal Oath 1723; Freeholder 1733, 1741, 1751.
Wreford, Matthew; took Loyal Oath 1723.
Wreford, Matthew; Freeholder 1783, 1799.
Wreford, William; Rectory Manor juror 1794-1797; Rectory Manor Reeve 1795; Freeholder 1762, 1771, 1783, 1799.
Wreford, William; Churchwarden 1744; Freeholder 1751, 1762.
Wreyford, John; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Maunder's Cottage.
Wreyford, Sarah; Tenant of Morchard Bishop Manor for Quick's.