A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
MORTHOE, a parish in the hundred of BRAUNTON; county of DEVON, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Ilfracombe, containing 280 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £9 19. 3., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains an altar-tomb to the memory of Sir William de Tracey, who, in 1308, founded a chantry, and, after the murder of Thomas à Becket, ended his days in a hermitage at this place. A school, conducted on the Madras system, has been established here. Within the parish is a Druidical monument, termed Mortstone.