"MUSBURY, in the vale of the Axe, 3 miles S.W. of Axminster, is a village and parish, containing 495 souls, and 2187A. 1R. 10P. of fertile land, including the hamlet of Maidenhayne and several scattered houses. Ash, now a farmhouse, was anciently the seat of the De Esse or Ash family, and afterwards of the Drakes. Sir John Drake, who was created a baronet in 1660, rebuilt the old castellated house, which had been destroyed in the civil wars. His nephew, John Churchill, the great Duke of Marlborough, was born in the old house in 1650. Ash was occupied by Sir John Pole in 1778, when the stables were burnt down. J.V. Payne, Esq., is lord of the manor of Musbury, which was anciently held by the Courtenays, and afterwards by the Drake and other families. John Gregson, John Woolcot, and Samuel Parr, Esqrs., Mr. Richd. Wills, Mr. F. Gillett, and several other freeholders, have estates in the parish. The CHURCH (St. Michael,) is an ancient fabric, with a tower and five bells, and contains several handsome monuments of the Drake family, . . . The rectory . . . is in the patronage of the Trustees of Wm. Payne, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Tucker, B.C.L., who has neither parsonage of glebe. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Axminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.