A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
MUSBURY, a parish in the hundred of AXMINSTER county of DEVON, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Colyton, containing 375 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £19. 11. 8., and in the patronage of George Tucker, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The river Axe passes between this parish and Colyton. Ash House, now occupied as a farm-house, derives interest from having been the birthplace, in 1650, of the renowned Duke of Marlborough, whose mother was then on a visit to her father, Sir John Drake. Within the parish is an ancient fortress, of an elliptical form, having a double intrenchment enclosing an area of twenty acres.