"NETHER EXE, a small parish, on the east side of the river Exe, 5 miles N. by E. of Exeter, has only 97 souls, and 650 acres of land. Though so small a parish, it gives name to the Nether Exe Farmers' Club, which has a long list of members, resident in the surrounding parishes. Francis Hill, Esq., has a seat here, and owns the greater part of the parish, and the rest belongs to the Rev. W. Sweet, Mr. R. Bonner, and a few smaller owners. The Church, anciently subject to that of Rewe, is a small ancient structure, with one bell and a handsome font. The perpetual curacy, valued in K.B. at £8. 10s., and in 1831 at £37, is in the patronage of the eight trustees under the will of H. Burroughs, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. John Bond, M.A., of Romansleigh. The poor have 16s. a year, left by Nicholas Warren, and the parish sends a poor person to Burrough's Almshouse, at Broad Clist. The farmers are Thomas Bere, Francis Hill, Esq., Thomas Kingdon, John Rewe, and Francis Richards. " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.