Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
NETHEREXE. St. John the Baptist. This church, standing in the corner of a field, is very small, consisting only of chancel and nave with continuous roof, south porch, and vestry. The single bell is in a turret at the west end of the church. On the south side of the chancel there is a piscina with trefoil arch and drain, and on the north side a credence table erected in memory of Francis Christopher Hill of this parish, who was responsible for the restoration of the church. He died on St. John the Baptist's Day [June 24th], 1892, aged 40, and the table was erected by his widow and children, completing the restoration of the church commenced by him. In the south wall of the nave there is a narrow doorway, now filled in, and close by is a holy water stoup. On the north wall is a tablet in:- memory of Mary Young daughter of Mr. Peter and Salome Young, who died Oct. 18th, 1771 in the 11th year of her age, and of Thomas Young son of ye above named Peter and Salome who died Aug the 6th 1817 aged 63 years. The Poor Man's Friend.
There are two tablets commemorating members of the Hill family. On a board at the east end of the church is the inscription:- Emal Warren, Stoke Canon gave £1 payable out of Millhays in Upexe to ye Poore of this parish to be distributed yearly on Saint Nicholas Day in Linen Cloth.
The font [plate 167] is old, with a square bowl, scalloped beneath and on the base.
The registers date: baptisms, 1731; marriages, 1773; burials, 1743.