"NEWTON POPPLEFORD [is a] tithing and chapelry, which has 549 inhabitants and 524 acres of land . . . in the vale of the Otter, where it has a good village and a stone bridge of three arches, 10 miles E. by S. of Exeter, and 3 miles S. of Ottery St. Mary. . . . The Chapel of Ease (St Mark,) at Newton Poppleford, is served by the vicar [of Aylesbeare], and is said to have been founded as a chantry chapel by Edward III., about 1330. It is a stone fabric, with a Norman tower and one bell. The village of Newton has also a small Independent Chapel, built in 1816; and on the river bank is a crepe and silk factory, which belongs to Hy. Elliott, Esq., but is now unoccupied. Many females here are employed in making Honiton Lace. . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A chapelry in the parish of Aylesbeare in East Budleigh Hundred in the Archdeaconry and Dioces of Exeter, which became a separate parish in 1896. Part of the Otter Valley area.
Pearse Chope, R. Church Bands. Devon & Cornwall Notes and Queries vol. IX, (January 1916 to January 1917), pp. 124-5. [Transcript]
Parish Registers going back to 1862 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1580 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1581-1670, and Marriages 1581-1630, 1654-1670 (separately listed in the Aylesbeare Registers).
Sellman, R.R. Aylesbeare with Newton Poppleford, Devon: edited transcript of parish registers to 1837/1854 (typescript) 144p. [Westcountry Studies Library]
Section on Newton Poppleford from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newton Poppleford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Newton Poppleford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Bevan, H.O. Newton Poppleford: Historical Notes (typescript). (1956) 10p. [Westcountry Studies Library - xB/NEW 4/0001/BEV]
Tenney, G. Peep into the past: Newton Poppleford and Harpford. Newton Abbot: G.Tenney  27p. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/NEW 4/0001/TEN]
Wilson, Ray. Yesterday in Newton Poppleford: the way we were, the things we did, Newton Poppleford, R. Wilson (1999) 93 pp.
The lower Otter valley: sketches on local history, Budleigh, Otter Valley Assoc. (1984) 104p: ill,maps. [ISBN 0950753416]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SY086897 (Lat/Lon: 50.699735, -3.295571), Newton Poppleford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The Otter Valley Association has an extensive web-site providing much genealogical and historical material.