"NEWTON ST. CYRES, a pleasant village, on the south side of the vale of the river Creedy, 4½ miles N.W. of Exeter, and 3½ E.S.E. of Crediton. Its parish contains 1234 souls, and 4305 acres of land, rising in bold undulations from the river, and including the tythings of Ford, Norton, and Smallbrook, the hamlet of Winscott, and many scattered houses. . . . John Quicke, Esq., is lord of the manor of Newton, and resides at Newton House, where his family has been seated since the reign of Elizabeth. . . . The Church (St. Cyres,) stands on a fine eminence, and has a tower and five bells. It was built in the 12th or 13th century, and has a large burial ground surrounded by fine lime trees, &c. The interior was recently repewed, in 1831, and has several monuments of the Northcote and Quicke families, one of which has effigies of Jacob Northcote Esq., and his two wives, who died in the 17th century. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 15s. 5d., and in 1831 at £425, is in the patronage of John Quicke, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. E.H. Quicke, B.A. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Crediton Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. According to Peskett, Norton in this parish was under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter.