NEWTON ST. CYRES
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"NEWTON ST. CYRES, a parish in the hundred of Crediton, county Devon, 4 miles N. of Exeter, its post town, and 3 S.E. of Crediton. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the river Creedy, and on the turnpike road from Exeter to Barnstaple. Lead, ironstone, basalt, and manganese are found in the neighbourhood. The soil consists of clay and sand, with a subsoil of schistose slate. The parish includes the hamlets of Ford, Norton, and Smallbrooke. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £351. The church, dedicated to St. Cyres, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains monuments to the Northcote and Quicke families. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a school for both sexes. The poet Downham was born in this parish. John Quicke, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"FORD, a tything in the parish of Newton St. Cyres, county Devon, 4 miles N.W. of Exeter."
"NORTON, a tything in the parish of Newton St. Cyres, county Devon, 4 miles N.W. of Exeter. It is situated near the river Oreedy."
"SMALLBROOKE, a tything in the parish of Newton St. Cyres, county Devon, 4 miles N.W. of Exeter."