A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
MOLTON (NORTH), a parish in the hundred of SOUTH MOLTON, county of DEVON, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from South Molton, containing 1847 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Twitchen annexed, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £16. 16. 1., endowed with £600 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1100 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Morley. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is furnished with a rich pulpit; there were formerly three chapels of ease in the parish. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Almshouses for six poor families were founded and endowed by an ancestor of George Parker; there is also a small sum, the gift of William Mourman, for teaching six boys. A weekly market, formerly held at this place, has been long disused.