A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
NORTHAM, a parish in the hundred of SHEBBEAR, county of DEVON, 1½ mile (N. by W.) from Bideford containing 2550 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £10. 10., endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. A place of worship for Independents was erected in 1829. Here are almshouses for four widows, and several small endowments for teaching poor children, of which some are applied in support of a school conducted on the Madras system. The parish is bounded by the Bristol channel on the west, and by the navigable river Torridge on the east.