"NORTHLEIGH, (or North Leigh), a parish in the hundred of Colyton, county Devon, 32 miles S.E. of Honiton, its post town, and 4 N.W. of Colyton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Axe, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is various. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of 1169 10s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £240. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is a stone structure, with a tower containing four bells. In the interior of the church is a screen, dividing the nave from the chancel, which has been rebuilt. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum, of which £7 goes to the Sunday-school. There is a National school for both sexes. Mrs. Proby of Seaton is lady of the manor.