Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
OKEHAMPTON. All Saints. As the church [plate 175a] with the exception of the fine west tower was rebuilt in 1844 there is little to be found of antiquarian interest. It consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, and west tower. There are no old monuments. There is a fine reredos erected by the parishioners in memory of the Rev. Charles William Hunt Holley, M.A., 19 years vicar of the parish, who died May 22nd 1891. The carved pulpit is in memory of R. B. Downal, who died December 5th 1888. Although the parish church is not of sufficient interest to be worth a special visit, the pulpit [plate 175b] in the Chapel of St. James, in the town, should not be missed, it has some very fine carved figures. The chapel was rebuilt in 1862 and is very plain, but the old tower remains.